What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera...?

Bought some CP's through a catalog in a flower store...
I'm not sure if they're the same I ordered by name or variants...

D. venusta?
Isn't the leaf supposed to be pinkish-orange?

D. adelae?
Looks more like a D. ascendens to me...

Drosera sp.
They gave it to me as a gift for buying more than 5, so I have no idea what species it may be...

Thanks beforehand

The first two are correct, just a bit light/humidity starved.
Not sure about what the 3rd is though.

3rd one looks kinda like D.slackii.

The second one is D. adelae, the first is probably D. venusta like you said.

The third is D. natalensis.

I have a very similar looking D. natalensis as the one in the third pic.

Hmm, I guess I should have let them recover from the trip...
I'll post updated pics later to see if the 3rd is easier to identify...

Here's a pic of D. natalensis I found on the net.
Natalensis_green-2.JPG

I would say #1 is D. venusta. Coloration depends on amount and quality of light it is grown in.

#2 - Though difficult to make out from the photo there appears to be a "petiole" - region without tentacles and hairs on the undersides. With those features most likely Drosera villosa or D. ascendens. D. villosa is somewhat variable in form. D. ascendens is a synonym for D. villosa
D. villosa var ascendens is invalid not having been properly published.

#3 - I can't make out if there are sparse, thick trichomes on the back/undersides of the leaves from the photos. If they are there then D. slackii. If not then most likely D. natalensis or less likely D. cuneifolia (less like because of the size of the region bare of tentacles on the leaves). D. natalensis is highly variable in form.

As they grow out it will be easier to give a more conclusive ID. Flowers are especially important to ID as species.

Last edited:
I would say #1 is D. venusta. Coloration depends on amount and quality of light it is grown in.

#2 - Though difficult to make out from the photo there appears to be a "petiole" - region without tentacles and hairs on the undersides. With those features most likely Drosera villosa or D. ascendens. D. villosa is somewhat variable in form. D. ascendens is a synonym for D. villosa
D. villosa var ascendens is invalid not having been properly published.

#3 - I can't make out if there are sparse, thick trichomes on the back/undersides of the leaves from the photos. If they are there then D. slackii. If not then most likely D. natalensis or less likely D. cuneifolia (less like because of the size of the region bare of tentacles on the leaves). D. natalensis is highly variable in form.

As they grow out it will be easier to give a more conclusive ID. Flowers are especially important to ID as species.

LOL! D. roundandstickia!

For# 1... Ok.. Has been cloudly lately, it's the middle of winter here... Not too much light...
For #2... There is a petiole, no trichomes/tentacles visible at 20x (with a magnifying glass) in the petiole nor in the underside of the leaf...
For #3... As far as I can see with the mag. glass, tiny, sparse trichomes are visible in the underside of the leaf except in a growing one (hasn't even opened yet)... Maybe due to size (bit over 1/2 and inch across) they're tiny?

The trichomes on the undersides of D. slackii are very obvious to the naked eye. They also pickup a reddish color. D. natalensis is much more hairy, similar to D. venusta:

D. slackii
P1120111.jpg

A quick way to test #2 would be to see if the leaves curl around prey. With Drosera adelae there is little to no leaf movement in response to food. If there is no dew yet, don't try feeding.

Last edited:
#2 - Though difficult to make out from the photo there appears to be a "petiole" - region without tentacles and hairs on the undersides. With those features most likely Drosera villosa or D. ascendens. D. villosa is somewhat variable in form. D. ascendens is a synonym for D. villosa D. villosa var ascendens is invalid not having been properly published.
Wow - although the last thing in the world that I want to do is differ with Warren (as I'm far from a taxonomist & he's typically correct in his assessments) - I feel that I must ...

Without viewing the pic, the likelihood of a vendor substituting a D. villosa or D. ascendens** for a D. adelae is single-digit probability at best.

Looking at the pic, the lateral ridges along the center of the leaf blade and the thin sides of the the leaf are both much more indicative of D. adelae than either of the others mentioned. The small amount of petiole present is consistent with D. adelae I am currently growing.

** whether or not it is "correct" to separate out these plants, I don't really care. Imho, the worse evil is done by pretending they are still the same when both knowledgeable people viewing them in the field and others who have grown both - see them as two distinct entities. Personally, I have grown both and easily observed larger differences than often separate Nepenthes species (I know - since I'm taxonomically ignorant, my view is worthless - but that doesn't mean I don't have one) :-))

Wow - although the last thing in the world that I want to do is differ with Warren (as I'm far from a taxonomist & he's typically correct in his assessments) - I feel that I must ...

Looking at the pic, the lateral ridges along the center of the leaf blade and the thin sides of the the leaf are both much more indicative of D. adelae than either of the others mentioned. The small amount of petiole present is consistent with D. adelae I am currently growing.
)

Think you're right there, missed that feature :)

Back