What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shroom-like growth in Sphag

Just curious as to what this is growing in my Sphagnum moss.. I can see a few deeper within the moss but this is the only one to break the surface. Sorry for the poor picture quality and thanks for any advice!

IMG_3309.jpg

It is an unopened mushroom, they crop up in my live sphagnum from time to time. I used to repot when they showed up but now I just pull them when they are at the stage you show where the lid hasn't flattened out and the gills become exposed to release their spores.

I hate seeing the mushrooms that pop up in live moss but they eventually burn out but then pop up again later. Leaves, twigs and orchid bark are the main culprits of sneaking in mushroom mycelium. Sometimes the mushrooms turn your live moss from green to white and once white it gets very brittle. Usually the moss will come back to live and be green again but it will take several months.

Yeah, just pull them out before they mature; no harm, no foul . . .

Oh thats easy enough then, thanks for the advice guys.

The mushroom is just a "fruit" there is probably an extensive growth of Mycelium "under the hood". If you have some Trichoderma available watering your moss with if would not hurt. I had a problem like this as well, and plucking shrooms did not help :) they just kept popping up. But after submerging the moss in Trich solution for couple of hours, one fungus overtook another :)

Gill is right!
There be fungus among us!
:-D

Wow I didn't realise it would be that widespread, thanks for the warning! Is there any chance of it spreading to my plants whose pots are embedded in the moss? I'm planning on replacing the moss soon for a much nicer kind like the one I actually plant my Neps in so could I leave it for a week or so without risking my plants' health?

Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean that it would harm your plants. Many fungi are non-harmful, and some like Trichoderma may be beneficial. Hard to tell though I guess, but I think it's pretty safe to say that there's always going to be some fungus in your soil/moss.

i have this pot of drosera spatulata that has some fungi growing in it, pops every few to several months. i rather adore the single mushroom. they are often in the same place which i find interesting
DSCF1293.jpg

I had tall, thin little mushrooms with tiny heads pop up in one of my nep's pots. Just plucked it out, but it came back so I plucked it again. It's been gone for a few months now with no issues.

When I used to setup mantid and insect vivariums the soil (mixture of oak leaf mulch, orchid bark and peat) and sometimes branches I put in there from the woods would sprout mushrooms of various shapes and colors and sizes but they didn't ever last very long.

Ok sounds like I have nothing to worry about, I'll leave my sphag be until I revamp my terrarium within the next month or so. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Back