What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible South American Sundew?

I've got a mystery sundew here. It was grown from what was supposed to be D. roramiae seed but obviously this is something else. It appears d. capensis like but the stipules, somewhat tapered end of leaf shape, long white trichomes on the margins of the petioles, and rate of growth make me think otherwise. Any thoughts? D. villosa is all i can think of that looks somewhat close to this.
IMG_1625_zpsc1114d24.jpg

Definitely not capensis because of that unfurling leaf and note the trichomes on the margins of the petioles.
IMG_1624_zpsb4c742de.jpg

IMG_1622_zps2b7ff8be.jpg

The stipules.
IMG_1621_zps98366f36.jpg

IMG_1616_zpse6a76aa4.jpg

IMG_1617_zpsb7cf205d.jpg

Although it's still young, typically D. villosa has much longer petioles (with more pubescence iirc). What is ruling out D. ascendens?

It almost looks like it is forming a stem. Might have just to wait till it's larger or flowering to be more sure of it's identity.

Although it's still young, typically D. villosa has much longer petioles (with more pubescence iirc). What is ruling out D. ascendens?

in comparison to my D. ascendens, the petiole length even at that size is too large to be an ascendens.
here's mine:
IMG_5744_zps106accb0.png

here's my villosa during the time it was exhibiting shorter petioles:
_MG_3929.png

@gemstatec: on a tangent, i've also noticed that your plant is holding on to many leaves. my villosa only holds roughly 4-5 leaves at a time. care to share some specs with us?

Specs? I have noticed that the leaves curl around prey items much like regia.

Sorry, I meant growing specs: light, temps, humidity, media, etc

If your plant is truly a villosa, then you've done a pretty amazing job at growing it. Plants at that size typically hold a maximum of 4 leaves, 1 developing, 2 functional, and 1 dying at a time.

Last edited:
It has been grown 8-10" from 2, T8 flourescent bulbs. Room temps (70-low 80's probably) and 50-60 i imagine at night. Humidity is 50%+. The soil is just 50:50 peat:perlite. Nothing special as far as growing goes. It's probably 6 or more months old.

Back