What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID for this dionaea please

Its a unknow clone

What do you think guys ?

9154160005_572fd24c07_b.jpg

Looks like "Sawtooth." Don't put a name with it, though unless we can be certain.

imho it looks like a cross involving the sawtooth....

Definitely some plant from the Dionaea Dentate Traps Group. I'd say it's a 'Dentate Traps' plant due to my personal experience. I've seen my plant make traps like that--not quite with eyelashes, but not quite with teeth either.

Good name for a hybrid... angry eyes.

My 'dentate' is making the same teeth on a smaller scale.

Ok, but dentate have triangle teeths ? Its not more like shark teeths or sometin? All the traps are the same on this plant. Maybe its an akaï ryu parent or someting, because i grow this from a redmix seeds bag from a cze vendor. Every seedlings where red exept 2 green plants like this one.

LoL you getting hard time trying to understand my english? Kinda normal :p

It's not 'Dentate Traps', or 'Sawtooth', or 'Shark's Teeth'. You've got a tricky one.

I have no clue what it is but it looks awesome!

I cannot find any dionaea like this on internet. I tryed a leaf cutting, and the tiny little plant have the same caracteristics.

The plant came from a bag of seeds, so maybe its only a genetic bug. If its a very unique mutant, i will wait more time to be sure its not only a 'virus', and i will find a name for ICPS registration.

Maybe Dionaea 'Palm dagger' ? Or Dionaea 'Sentinelle' ?
:-D

It has to be a cross between 'Dentate' and some red form. Reading somewhere; it said that only Typical and 'Dentate' traps will pass through genetics in green VFTs. Any other trap form specialty trait will be loss in the new generation. My guess is probably 'Red Piranha' or 'Red Sawtooth' x 'Dente'(or however you want to spell it).
My 'Red Piranha' is green; even though it receives light from a windowsill. :D

...because i grow this from a redmix seeds bag from a cze vendor. Every seedlings where red exept 2 green plants like this one.
Wait, did you grow this from seed yourself? If so, then I do not think any of those names apply. Most of them are clone only cultivars (you would have to check the descriptions to be sure). Even if some are not clone only, you likely have little way of knowing the parental lineage, you might as well come up with a new name or something. VFT 'Serrated blade' or something.

It has to be a cross between 'Dentate' and some red form. Reading somewhere; it said that only Typical and 'Dentate' traps will pass through genetics in green VFTs. Any other trap form specialty trait will be loss in the new generation...

So, green is dominant over red?

Wait, did you grow this from seed yourself?

Yes. But the seeds was not from me, i just make them germinate and grow.

Im already addicted to the knifes looking teeths. Look like a medieval weapon :)

Maybe mmlr38 can assist us, he got outstanding knowledges about this lil plant and all the cultivars.

Yes. But the seeds was not from me, i just make them germinate and grow.

I am not sure I understand. You had mentioned that you got these seeds from a CZ seller. If that is the case and you grew them from seed- they probably do not fit description of any of the named cultivars as most by description may only be reproduced by vegetative propagation and still be considered a member of that variety. That flytrap may be the offspring of a Sawtooth, or bristletooth or whatever, and it may posess many of the same traits, but if its parents are clone only cultivars- it is its own animal and you can call it whatever you want, but you cant call it by its parents' names.

I am not sure I understand. You had mentioned that you got these seeds from a CZ seller. If that is the case and you grew them from seed- they probably do not fit description of any of the named cultivars as most by description may only be reproduced by vegetative propagation and still be considered a member of that variety. That flytrap may be the offspring of a Sawtooth, or bristletooth or whatever, and it may posess many of the same traits, but if its parents are clone only cultivars- it is its own animal and you can call it whatever you want, but you cant call it by its parents' names.

True, but the others seedlings i can put a 'name' on them. I mean, i call the plants F5-6 clones but its the perfect replica of akaï ryu, or green dragon etc even if i know its not. So for this one, i want to know if a plant like this is already on the market.

If not, and considering i can propagate the plant, i have sometin new, right?

This is the reply i got today from the vendor:

"Hello, that teeth looks really nice. You should to name it as cultivar.

I am sorry, I cant tell you more about their origin and parents, as the
seeds was mixed from many of all red plants....

All the best and happy growing."

Back