What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera menziesii menziesii?

Hi,

I was hoping someone could help me ID this sundew(s). I had this pot sitting on the side for almost a year now and all of a sudden these tiny little guys popped up. The only seeds that I've ever sown are D. menziesii menziesii. Could this be it?

These ones seem to be a totally different type and I'm slightly confused as to how I got them since I've never sown pygmy sundews seeds or got my peat from anyone else. The plant shown in the pic above is actually growing out from one of these, however I think it might just be growing really close to it. I'm not sure, what do you think same plant or two different ones?

Indeed looks like menziesii. I'd get them into a sandier mix , all that peat may stay too wet for dormancy.

Looks like a Drosera menziesii to me. The only plant I know that looks the most like that is D. banksii, and that has flat traps.

If those are the only seeds you sowed in that pot, it's likely D. menziesii menziesii. The flat rosettes are the same thing, but just haven't gone to climbing stage yet. Nearly all climbing or scrambling tuberous sundews still have the rosette stage.

Awesome! I had already given up hope on these.
What a nice surprise! :-D

Thanks everyone!

Thanks Mach for the pics, I was hoping you'd chime in. That's definitely what's growing in the pot ;)
Btw, these are the seeds I won from you.

Thanks Mach for the pics, I was hoping you'd chime in. That's definitely what's growing in the pot ;)
Btw, these are the seeds I won from you.

Same batch of seeds also. I was curious to see how they would do. More so you will be fighting warmer temperatures than what I see in Kula. Mine often at this stage do not go dormant over the summer and keep on growing. Tricking them to thinking they have short days might help. But high temp might override .

So I'm a bit confused on what to do since its growing in the summer instead of the winter. Should I start keeping it dry now or should I wait until the winter to keep it dry?

Ill probably have lots of questions with these.... My first tuberous sundews ;)

Last edited:
let them keep on growing as long as they can. or they wont get to critical mass to make a tuber for next season's growth. If it is cool enough for them to think we are still in a mild winter, let them keep on going. get bigger tuber in one year by fooling it to grow for 2 seasons.....

Alrighty, we'll do!
Ill let you know how they fair :)

Back