What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia catesbaei ? or.....

OK -- I am reasonably certain that this is a catsesbaei but I have seen pictures of similar plants that include oreo in it. So any thoughts are appreciated

1078649_10201175709771641_842849238_o.jpg

Looks like a catesbaei to me.

Looks like a catesbaei to me too.

I can see where your oreophilla guess came from, ie the hoods of the plant are well defined and not as wavy as the traditional catesbaei. However while purpurea does not have too much variation, flava does and certain traits seem to be more consistent within certain variants than others-- for example, var. cuprea seems to have tighter, circular lids and thicker lips. It wouldnt surprise me if a flava cuprea was crossed to make your catesbaei.

I can see where your oreophilla guess came from, ie the hoods of the plant are well defined and not as wavy as the traditional catesbaei. However while purpurea does not have too much variation, flava does and certain traits seem to be more consistent within certain variants than others-- for example, var. cuprea seems to have tighter, circular lids and thicker lips. It wouldnt surprise me if a flava cuprea was crossed to make your catesbaei.

Your analyse is impressive. I feel like a newbie now lol

Your analyse is impressive. I feel like a newbie now lol

at the risk of false humility, it's just making observations and trying to put two and two together. ;) sometimes it works out...other times you get blasted...

This plant looks more like oreophila x purpurea to me.

WOW... that WAS impressive. I have a bunch of "I Lost the tags" that could use your help -- thank you for the analysis and the much appreciated schooling :)

WOW... that WAS impressive. I have a bunch of "I Lost the tags" that could use your help -- thank you for the analysis and the much appreciated schooling :)

forgive me for being misleading in sounding confident, but my observations are still observations at best. things start going to hell once when you have complex crosses involved.

have you ever purchased an oreophila x purpurea hybrid in the past? if you dont remember or if the answer is no, then it probably isn't. maybe you can observe some of it's parentage...if it tends to be the first plant to flower and send up pitchers before all others during the season, it could be reasonable to say that there is oreophila influence.

im still going to go with catesbaei since it is the more common available hybrid between the two.

Oh -- I know all that .. especially with complex crosses.. nonetheless your observations were spot on and well worded.

The plant in question was not purchased, it was given to be by someone who lost the tag. Good point about the flower and pitchers. I have a picture of a flower taken 5/25. I don't' think that is particularity early for upstate NY. As far as the pitchers I don't remember when they started, but given the flower date I would expect early June. All that being said .. I am going to stay with original guess of catesbaei

forgive me for being misleading in sounding confident, but my observations are still observations at best. things start going to hell once when you have complex crosses involved.

have you ever purchased an oreophila x purpurea hybrid in the past? if you dont remember or if the answer is no, then it probably isn't. maybe you can observe some of it's parentage...if it tends to be the first plant to flower and send up pitchers before all others during the season, it could be reasonable to say that there is oreophila influence.

im still going to go with catesbaei since it is the more common available hybrid between the two.

Back