What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alata or Ventricosa x Alata?

I've had this plant for over a decade but I'm still not sure what it is. I thought it was alata for a long time but after seeing some photos of ventricosa x alata, I'm not so sure anymore. It hasn't pitchered for me in a while since the humidity is so low, but I took some pictures of the old pitchers and the foliage. They were a light reddish color with very reduced wings. I hope it's not a hybrid.
DSC_0158_1.jpg

DSC_0159_1.jpg

DSC_0160_1.jpg

DSC_0161_1.jpg

N. alata, as recent changes in its description state, has hairy pitchers, so that's probably the ubiquitous hybrid.

Darn, that's disappointing. On the other hand, it seems like a lot of websites sell alata that looks similar to mine, so maybe they had it wrong from the beginning and they were actually selling hybrids. I didn't realize they changed the description until I looked it up.

Looks like what was ventricosa x alata, which is probably now ventricosa x graciliflora.

Yep, the infamous x ventrata ( though I agree with Wire Man, it's probably a hybrid with graciliflora that's so common). A lot of places sell this plant falsely as "alata," but as mentioned, graciliflora has much more elongate pitchers, and alata is more tubular and hairy, with notable wings.

Back