What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nepenthes pitchers don't seem to match the tag

I received this plant in trade a long time ago. I was told it's a sanguinea purple. Now it has finally made a pitcher and I'm wondering if it may have been mislabeled.

79dbPw9.jpg

The shape seems right, and it has a lid spur much like a typical sanguinea, but I thought the coloration would be more solid. I've never seen a sanguinea with stripes so pronounced. It's a little disappointing because solid purple/black is what I was seeking.

Just a weird pitcher? Mislabeled hybrid?

Definitely not sanguinea. This looks like some kind of maxima hybrid.

It has maxima, but i'm not sure what else, the lower end of the pitcher may be key to Id'ing this plant, I can narrow out Max X alata as its body is to heavy built, what are the leaves like?

Bottom line is that it's not even close to what you traded for. Even though it was a long time ago, you should contact the person involved and try to work something out. And if they refuse.. well, let us know who it is so we can avoid them.

N. x'Gentle' (fusca x maxima) is a possibility for this one.

Bottom line is that it's not even close to what you traded for. Even though it was a long time ago, you should contact the person involved and try to work something out. And if they refuse.. well, let us know who it is so we can avoid them.

Will do. The trade is in my records.

I'll be trading this plant (and its rooted cutting) as a NOID if anyone is interested. I barely have room for the plants I want; plants I don't have to go.

I thought "gentle" had slimmer pitchers, my gentle looks alot more like a fusca in shape, expecially the lip, but I guess a more dominant maxima could throw this.

'Gentle' does have much slimmer pitchers, depending on what leaves look like it could be a pure form of maxima.

It ain't sanguinea, whatever it is!

The person I traded with also received a pitcherless mislabeled plant. So we're both in the "what do we do with this plant now?" situation. No foul play here. Thanks, guys.

It's a handsome little mutt, whatever it is. :)

Back