What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not A D. fulva....

@PsychoSarah - :-D Were the sarr seeds viable? I'd rather have living sarr seed than dead Drosera seeds, which I've ended up with too many times.

I'm thinking the mystery plant could maybe be D. x beliziana?

I found this on the Photofinder site:

1301384579446134616.jpg
These are too rounded. Mine are more elongated.

D. capillaris is also a little too rounded.

At least it was an actual drosera. I once got some free "drosera pretty rosette" seeds when I bought another plant online. Turns out they were mislabeled so badly, I don't even understand how it could have happened; they were sarracenia seeds. Good thing I had seen drosera seeds before and decided to look up what I actually had, because apparently whoever packaged them up had never seen them. Gosh, in comparison sarracenia seeds are absolutely gigantic compared to drosera seeds, I don't know how the two could possibly get confused.

Do you have a picture?

Sorry, no picture, this was months ago and I never thought to take one.

Sorry, no picture, this was months ago and I never thought to take one.

I used to have 'Pretty Rosette':

' Out of curiosity, does 'Psycho' refer to psychological or psychopathic?

PsychoSarah is a name I use for video games.

Jim, it sure looks like D. intermedia to me.

I can vouch for it probably being intermedia. I have a few different forms growing on, they all look very similar. And capillaris (both typical and Long Arm form) tend to have more "triangular" lamina than your plant shows.

D. intermedia it is! Now which kind..? I'm wishing for Carolina Giant.

As I said before trying to identify species through photographs with obovate, spatulate, oblanceolate, or oblong leaves is difficult. How the leaves appear in a two dimensional photograph depends a lot on the perspective, angle and lighting. These can be affected by focal length and position of the lens (distance and angle).

If you look at Harry A. Gleason's key to American Drosea leaf shape doesn't play a role in distinguishing between Drosera capillaris and D. intermedia. Rather the key depends on flower color (pink for D. capillaris and white for D. intermedia) and the appearance of the seeds. I've stressed this many times before - flowers and seed will give you the best keys to identify between theses species.

http://www.omnisterra.com/botany/cp/pictures/drosera/0077.htm

(after eliminating D. filiformis, D. rotundifolia, D. linearis and D. anglica we are left with the following:

Stipules free or lacking.

Scape glabrous; stipules conspicuous, free

Flowers white, 7-8 mm. wide; seeds irregularly and densely covered with
long papillae, 0.7-1 mm. long. -> 5. D. intermedia

Flowers pink, 10 mm. wide; seeds papillose-corrugated with 14-16 ridges,
0.4-0.5 mm. long. -------------> 6. D. capillaris

Scape glandular-pubescent; stipules absent; seeds crateriform, 0.3-0.4 mm.
long. ---------------------------> 7. D. brevifolia

Here is an example of how the angle at which a photograph taken can affect the perceived leaf shape (two dimensional image)
IMGP7839copy_zps70c92e4e.jpg

Same leaf, same plant different angle. I'll leave it to you guys to debate the species. It is a species and quite mature - there are 4 or 5 old flower stalks and a new one on the way.

But one thing we are certain.... it's not a D. fulva! Seriously, no sign of a flower stalk yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if one emerges this summer. For the moment, it does look identical to the Cuba plants right next to it. BTW, I ALWAYS appreciate your input and wit!

But one thing we are certain.... it's not a D. fulva! Seriously, no sign of a flower stalk yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if one emerges this summer.

That much is for certain. The CP Photo Finder is an enormously helpful tool, but it is far more useful in narrowing down the field and telling you what something is not. The devil is in the details and the finer characteristics used to ID a species such as stipules, trichomes (hairs and glands) on the flower stalks or undersides of the leaves and flower parts and seeds are generally lacking in the Photo Finder. Plus there are a number of mislabeled/misidentified material out there. Lacking the many years of experience of growing many different varieties and forms or observing them in the field the only positive way is to go by the book and use the published taxonomy keys.

Ivan Snyder will now and then chuckle and say: I remember when Fernando was just a kid asking questions like "How to you tell D. capillaris and D. intermedia apart?"

D. intermedia is a good bet. So are some of the D. capillaris long arm/leaf varieties. The plant looks mature to me. I wouldn't be surprised if it flowers later on this year either.

D. rotundastickya is a sure bet :p.

I don't envy Mr. Zeimer's task of keeping the ID's straight! I'm rooting D. capillaris, just because I know i already have a D. intermedia.

If you think it is something that came from you collection as opposed to a hitchhiker from someone else in a recent acquisition than it is just a matter of the process of elimination. Anything fertile that has flowered in the past 6 months within a 1-2 foot radius (indoors) is a likely suspect. Outdoors maybe 3 foot radius. Double the radius with something with long tall growth or scapes that whip around like Drosera venusta, D. madagascarensis or the climbing tuberous Drosera. How and how often you move pots around add another factor.

If it is something that came from another grower all bets are off. You can narrow the field by asking them what else they are growing that flowered recently to narrow down the suspects. I remember getting a D. cuneifolia bare root from you and lo and behold a D. burmanii seedling sprouts in the pot - a species that was not in my collection at the time. How the seed managed to hitchhike with a bare-root plant is unknown. Perhaps it was caught on the tentacles and got washed off when I sprayed the plant with water after potting.

LOL! I visited a hobbyist when I was living in PA and we exchanged some plants. He accidentally gave me a pot that eventually germinated a Drosphyllum. It survived the move from Reading, PA to WNY, in December, as well as one repot. But the second repot killed it. I'm always getting those interlopers!

I haven't been able to capture a picture of an opened flower, but the bud is white:

Looks to be intermedia. The question now is where does it come from.

You could take cuttings and experiment with dormancy this winter, to see if it needs it or not.

Excellent, that narrows down the field. If it sprouted from seed it could be one of Dr. Frankensnyder's hybrid experiments. Let's see what the seeds and flower parts look like.

As Tamlin says Dr. Frankensnyder's plants will cause much consternation with future CP growers and taxonomists when the origin of them are long forgotten.

Last edited:
Excellent, that narrows down the field. If it sprouted from seed it could be one of Dr. Frankensnyder's hybrid experiments. Let's see what the seeds and flower parts look like.

As Tamlin says Dr. Frankensnyder's plants will cause much consternation with future CP growers and taxonomists when the origin of them are long forgotten.

...and the plant neither knows nor cares what it's called... Personally, I wish it were a 'Carolina Giant'.

Back