What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mexican Pings Needing ID's

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

I think it is nearly impossible to identify Pings without a flower. In addition, there are so many hybrids floating around that even with a flower, identification is dangerous. Do you know where you got them?

#3 looks like a pic of P. agnata x gypsicola I saw once, although, as stated above, identifying pings is almost impossible without flowers.

I think it is nearly impossible to identify Pings without a flower. In addition, there are so many hybrids floating around that even with a flower, identification is dangerous. Do you know where you got them?

I know. I understand. I've had these plants for a long time, now, and have lost track of who sent me them.

This is the flower associated with the one labeled 'John Rizzi', but it's not the right name for the plant:

If you could remember what plants you had (and those that you never had), that might help.
You might check the photo finder and find similarities. For example, the flower above might be
Pinguicula x [agnata x (moranensis x ehlersiae)]
Pinguicula 'Pirouette'
Pinguicula x [agnata x zecheri]
or any number of other possibilities where I have not yet found flower photos.

Check your old picture posts and see if you posted them when they were still labeled.

I have a plant labeled 'John Rizzi' I got from you several years ago. The plant looks like the photos on the Photo Finder. The flower is close though the color is more pale than the photos on the Finder. But it is difficult to compare colors without calibration.

Last edited:
This is a John Rizzi of mine from 2010:

Clearly a different flower / plant.

This is my 'Pirouette' from 2009:

and its flower from 2009:

I don't think I've had the other 2 cultivars.

Last edited:
Here is the 'John Rizzi' I got from you several years ago. I believe I just sent you pullings:

IMGP8389_zps14325a56.jpg

IMGP8387_zps2eea29f9.jpg

If I sent you pullings from the P. 'Pirouette' that was from a plant I got from Ed Read at CSUF to replace the one you had sent many years ago.

The coloring on #1 is similar to P. laueana × emarginata, but not the leaf shape
IMGP8392_zps1bcca9e9-1.jpg

IMGP8391_zps7d3de0e2.jpg

Last edited:
I'll hold off on labeling. I think that one, in particular, is a 'Pirouette'. The third picture has a leaf shape that could have gigantea in it, possibly a leftover gigantea x moctezumae.

Back