What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. cistiflora or D. trinervia?

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast

Hard to say at that size. Young or recently emerged D.cistiflora look fairly similar to both D.trinervia and D.pauciflora.

It's not trinervia. That species has notably wider leaves and a different method of unfurling the leaves. I have both D. trinervia and an unknown cistiflora or relative in the same pot, they're quite different looking. Amongst the cistiflora relatives, I'm thinking mature plants and/or flowers are necessary for good ID at this point though...

They came to me as D. cistiflora, so that's what I'll call them, unless proven otherwise.

For reference:

D. trinervia
IMGP9925_zps95grgosp.jpg

D. cistiflora when first coming up from dormancy. It does look a lot like D. trinervia
IMGP9915_zps70z9ie7o.jpg

However after several weeks: (not the same plants but came out of dormancy about a month earlier)
IMGP9912_zpsub0pb6g5.jpg

Last edited:
I've noticed there seems to be a large amount of variation in the growth pattern of cistiflora variants, with the shape of the emerging leaves and the unfurling details, though they bear similarity enough at least in the latter that the difference from trinervia is quite clear.

My cistiflora
7BBB0F5E-39CF-4C2A-9290-7DD5AB79DC67_zpsmxcxenoh.jpg
FB0A289F-F94F-4C9A-B23C-71303ABFA483_zpswhotjgmh.jpg

My trinerva
221AC315-97A2-41A2-951D-2B3360E42F00_zps47h1qd2z.jpg
C2C28FC5-A358-4372-BBAB-BB9980776996_zpsnccsukpg.jpg

Back