What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mystery Utricularia?

Ok, so I think I've got some mystery Utricularia hanging out with my capensis, and I can't quite identify it. The flower scapes are small, just above an inch long. Any thoughts?

IMAG00021_zps54c015b4.jpg

Utricularia for sure, hard to say exactly what it is. Probably the cleistogamous flowers of U.subulata.

I'd put my bets on U. subulata as well, though it could easily be U. bisquamata.

leaning more towards U. bisqumata. U. subulata looks more "zig-zaggy" (thunderbolts and lightning) and will produce a sticky exudate where the flowers meet the stem. looks like dew but it is thicker than water

Could also be not zig-zaggy because of the growing conditions. really high humidity and lower light.... So might still be U. subulata

Last edited:
Have any of the flowers fully opened since you posted this?

I would lean toward U. bisquamata, but that semi-open flower in the center reminds me a whole lot of unopened U. livida flowers....

I checked with the source a while ago and have it now confirmed as (a very unhappy batch of) U. subulata. Case closed, I guess. Now to deal with the stupid thing invading the rest of my collection...

Back