What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What exactly is Nepenthes anamensis?

So, about a year ago I purchased a N. anamensis plant from a Bruce Bednar in Central Florida, can't really say more because of forum rules. I'm trying to figure out exactly what this plant is since N. anamensis is not a valid scientific name anymore, a lot of people have said it's now grouped with N. smilesii but I haven't really gotten a clear answer and it's pitchers do not seem to really match those of N. smilesii. I really can't find any information on this plant anywhere besides just notes about it's characteristics. I can post pictures of mine if ya'll would like but mine is not looking the best right now and the only pitchers it has are thimble sized. Thanks for any help!

Forgot to describe what the plant looks like: the lower pitchers of this plant are kinda tubby, with a red speckling, and the leaves are very thin and have a bit of serration on the side, though it is very small.

Last edited:
As far as I know, N.anamensis is a synonym for both N.smilesii AND N.mirabilis. There was apparently some confusion on the real identity of this plant back in the 1980's when it was first imported. Your plant could be either one of those 2 species depending on provenance. You'll probably have to wait for more mature pitchers for a positive ID, the differences between N.smilesii and any one of the many forms of N.mirabilis will be obvious on an older plant.

I have N. thorellii 'd' from EP which supposedly is N. anamensis (since it is not actually N. thorelii) it has red pitchers in good light with some red spot on the neck tube area but there's no serrations on the leaves.

The only Nepenthes I've owned with serrated leaves is N. mirabilis but not N. mirabilis var. globosa (aka. N. viking) that one had smooth leaves, but the pitchers were very round and looked very different than regular N. mirabilis.

Based on the description I'd say that it is probably some form of N. mirabilis, but Indochinese Nepenthes classification is not one of my strengths. The serration says to me that it is not N. smilesii, but I don't have enough experience with these plants to say for sure.

Hmm,well the serration is extremely small so it might just be a result of growing conditions, I dunno. When it makes mature pitchers I should be able to tell, the place I got it from had pics of mature pitchers on it...

Back