What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Really Dionaea?

masonix

Mr Masonix
Hi,

Ordered Venusplant Seed from ebay and they looked like the black seeds which i have seen on pictures, o drowned them in distilled water a couple of days and into a pot with special soil, and they sprouted to my smiling surprise.
But i also ordered pitcher plants from banggood, which seeds looked kinda the same on their images but concidering it's a chinese page they are often a bit like dis and that with their images so i did'nt put much thought on it until now.

Now when the sprouts are a few days old, i'm not so sure that this really is venus plants?
The package was unmarked, the insides i mean, so technically, it could be that the deliverytime was really long on the venus traps which i in that case not have gotten yet, and that i've succesfully sprouted pitchers?

Can you look at it? I hope it's visible, it's hard to take a picture in a plastic bag with red and blue led's from above!

P1010577_zpsxkx2ao0w.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
Not a flytrap, sorry. Ebay is generally considered to be the worst place to purchase seeds (besides amazon). Even if you find a seller who who isn't a scammer or sends correct seeds, it is near impossible to tell when the seeds were harvested and if they would have any viability.

Not a flytrap, sorry. Ebay is generally considered to be the worst place to purchase seeds (besides amazon). Even if you find a seller who who isn't a scammer or sends correct seeds, it is near impossible to tell when the seeds were harvested and if they would have any viability.

I have quite noticed this, many of my droseras just don't sprout although I'm pretty confident I did right.

Can you recommend a store or person who sell fresh sundays?

I am not sure, considering you are in Sweden. There are a lot of good carnivorous plant sellers in Europe, so a quick search for "carnivorous plants for sale EU" might provide you some good online options.

I got a priv mess with some excellent links. In the future I might trade with you guys! :)

Don't ever purchase from the Chinese sellers for anything, I have yet to hear even one case where they are actually selling what they claim to. It's a fair chance you ended up with dragonfruit (Hylocereus) which, while a cool plant itself, is not by any means even carnivorous....

Ok,

Lession learned.. good that they did'nt cost too much though! :)

The seeds looked like this though, this i am 100% certain of, but it was probably something else that has similar looking seeds then! :)

Handful_of_Venus_Fly_Trap_Seeds-e1435691287985.jpg

It's kinda exciting to see what the hell i have planted though, it's sprouting very good!

Just the same should you choose to bring the seedlings to maturity I would be interested in seeing what they turn out to be. 'Could be interesting.

Ok,

Lession learned.. good that they did'nt cost too much though! :)

The seeds looked like this though, this i am 100% certain of, but it was probably something else that has similar looking seeds then! :)

It's kinda exciting to see what the hell i have planted though, it's sprouting very good!

You'll be able to tell whether they're VFT's very shortly. Generally the third leaf is first true carnivorous leaf (first two are cotyledons), and will have a little trap on the end of it. If you still don't see traps by the fourth leaf, it's probably something else.

Last edited:
Just the same should you choose to bring the seedlings to maturity I would be interested in seeing what they turn out to be. 'Could be interesting.

Yes, i will keep posting images as time goes by in this thread.

Perhaps it will turn into something monstrous that bites my finger off! :)
Or perhaps some good hemp, i don't know but it's growing pretty quick, and the roots lookes like those white extremly thin things that a real flytrap has.

Oh, I took i photo so you can see that it in my novice opinion clearly atleast reminded at VFT seeds, and i mean the seeds on top of the sprout... not the sprout itself, but as i said, i have only seen seeds on picture before i got these.

P1010579_zpszlo3pmcv.jpg

The seeds are still visible on top of the strange sprouts.

Last edited:
Definitely not VFT's.

Dionaea seeds do look similar to several other genera, but I can give probably an 80% likelihood they're Hylocereus, which is what so many other people who've been ripped off end up sprouting....

Dionaea seeds do look similar to several other genera, but I can give probably an 80% likelihood they're Hylocereus, which is what so many other people who've been ripped off end up sprouting....

Well now I can confirm that it is dragonfruit as you say. I have two pots of dragonfruit now that I do not want to kill, but I don't need so many! :)

At least you didn't buy a pack of "NEPENTHES EDWARDSIANA SEEDS!! REAL!!! ONLY $150.00!!!!"

Last edited:
At least you didn't buy a pack of "NEPENTHES EDWARDSIANA SEEDS!! REAL!!! ONLY $150.00!!!!"
I'd rather just buy an Eddie that I don't have to sprout from seed for that much. Also, I clicked an that "rainbow rose seeds" link and since when are roses considered "hard to care for"? The weather takes care of mine just fine. More proof that it's fake I guess, that and the fact that, as far as I know, roses can't produce blue pigment.

I'd rather just buy an Eddie that I don't have to sprout from seed for that much. Also, I clicked an that "rainbow rose seeds" link and since when are roses considered "hard to care for"? The weather takes care of mine just fine. More proof that it's fake I guess, that and the fact that, as far as I know, roses can't produce blue pigment.

Know your seller, know the location, and know the product.
Do this and you can master online plant shopping.

In other words, Stay away from chinese dealers that sell radishes as "rainbow seeds".

PS- Dragon fruit is an amazing succulent. I highly encourage you to keep them,
as their foliage is (IMO) very attractive, and the fruit is awesome.

Know your seller, know the location, and know the product.
Do this and you can master online plant shopping.

In other words, Stay away from chinese dealers that sell radishes as "rainbow seeds".

PS- Dragon fruit is an amazing succulent. I highly encourage you to keep them,
as their foliage is (IMO) very attractive, and the fruit is awesome.
I didn't know that it was a succulent. Masonix may have found someone to give his surplus to.

Last edited:
Back