What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help with ampullaria variety

I've had this N. ampullaria in my care for a while, but I don't know what variety or cultivar it is, if it even is one. I ask because I took several cuttings earlier and the id is now important if I trade these once they root. Hopefully these pictures are enough. Thanks
wrZO0LRh.jpg

9Y4D2fJh.jpg

KJf59sPh.jpg

Hi,

If you are able to identify the source of your plant, it would be helpful. The ampullaria cultivar registered with ICPS, with red pitchers, is the Nepenthes 'Cantley's Red' - from the very limited database in my brain. :blush:

Unfortunately, the plant is part of a collection I started managing a couple of years ago. The only ID on the plant was N. ampullaria, which wasn't really helpful at all.

There is a lot of genetic variation in ampullaria. I doubt you could positively identify it as a specific cultivar, and it's probably just a regular red-pitchered plant anyway.

In any case, I believe that 'Cantley's Red' has some green speckles on the pitchers and some variation in the peristome, as does "Harlequin," and "Williams Red" is darker.

Without knowledge of where exactly the plant came from, or a name attached already, it's no more than a red form of ampullaria. Even two similar plants if crossed will not necessarily breed true for coloration and may pop out anything within the massive range of diversity this plant produces; i.e. I received seeds from a green ampullaria that produced a very heavily red-speckled plant, and a red-lipped plant gave seeds that left me with a pure green specimen that turns blood red only inside the pitcher.
Oh, and 'Harlequin' is specifically a red-lipped plant that has a red background and both purple and green speckles.

Back