What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera capensis form

Hi all,

I got this Drosera capensis when it was pretty small a few months ago. It's grown now, and flowering, and forming a stem.
I thought it was one of the "regular" form (whatever that means), but it seems a bit too hairy and there seem to be a lot of densely packed tentacles on lamina.

What does that look like to you? Could it be Bainskloof?
Thanks for your thoughts.

Cheers,
Marcus

(Sorry, first photo is under artificial light.)

IMG_8445.jpg

IMG_8446.jpg

IMG_8447.jpg

IMG_8448.jpg

It looks like a wide leaf Capensis.

Is the "wide leaf" form usually that hairy?

OK, I guess, the labels "wide leaf", "broad leaf", etc., aren't well-defined enough—they're not cultivars after all.

Anyway, any thoughts? What does a typical D. capensis from the Bainskloof pass look like? What's usual for "wide leaf"?

Thanks!

My D. capensis was labeled as "Wide leaf" but it's nowhere near as wide as this one. I've seen more plants labeled as "Broad leaf" that look similar, and one of the Bainskloof forms looks similar to this as well and is known to be stem-forming.

"Wide leaf" and "broad leaf" are the same thing, and light intensity affects leaf width to an extent; lower lighting produces wider leaves, as observed from my plants. And this form is probably not any hairier per se than other forms, but the bigger leaves means more space for hairs to grow and make the trait noticeable.

Thanks for the input, guys!

It grows side-by-side with the typical form and 'Albino', but still has these wide leaves and the stem that the others don't have.
Also, following up on the CPUK forum thread, the flowers are significantly bigger than the typical form flowers.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Some capensis are not stem forming?

All capensis are technically stem-forming, but there's a big difference between producing a 2" stem and an 8" stem over a few months of growth...

Back