What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown ping from nursery in Denver, CO

• Thread starter fundew
  • Start date
I was excited to find that the nursery I visted today had specimens of pinguicula, drosera, dionaea, sarracenia, and nepenthes. Any IDs on the ping I took home would be fantastic. Pictures include shots of the plant I took home, plus several the nursery had flowering. Thanks!

Album: Unknown ping - Album on Imgur

I'm going with P. primuliflora.

100% certain it is primuliflora. No other Pinguicula (except for the Mexican Pinguicula P. medusina)in the world creates adventitious plants like this one does :)

Last edited:
according to all the morphological caracter ,P.primuliflora , yes

jeff

Thanks so much everyone!

100% certain it is primuliflora. No other Pinguicula in the world creates advantageous plants like this one does :)

Can you explain this a bit to me please? I'm just getting into CPs and am more familiar with drosera and dionaea. :)

Last edited:
Thanks so much everyone!

Can you explain this a bit to me please? I'm just getting into CPs and am more familiar with drosera and dionaea. :)

All of those tiny plants in the pot appeared from the ends of the leaves of the larger plant. No other Pinguicula is known to produce plantlets in this way.

All of those tiny plants in the pot appeared from the ends of the leaves of the larger plant. No other Pinguicula is known to produce plantlets in this way.

What about pinguicula medusina? Which reminds me... I'd really like to get that again. lol

What about pinguicula medusina? Which reminds me... I'd really like to get that again. lol

That is true, how could I forget about that one! Apparently, heterophylla occasionally does this too, but I've only seen a few pics of wild ones doing so. I am surprised that one does not see medusina around much in cultivation for this reason.

Adventitious, not advantageous (though it probably is for the plant). P. primuliflora does it most commonly, but caerulea, lutea, planifolia, and of course the two Mexican species mentioned (though some consider them one species), among many others that will also do so given the right conditions. Out of these however primuliflora is the only one sold in mass market (and medusina is a picky bulb-dormant species like gypsicola and macrophylla which is why it's not very common).

Bonjour

hcarlton yes some time planifolia make these adventitious but lutea and caerulea ? have you some picture

among many others that will also do so given the right conditions Can you explain ?

jeff

Last edited:
100% certain it is primuliflora. No other Pinguicula in the world creates advantageous plants like this one does :)

Word should actually be "adventitious ". ;)

Last edited:
Word should actually be "adventitious ". ;)

Oops! Got it, although, one may argue that such adventitious plantlets prove to be advantageous to the survival of the plants in their population. :p

Last edited:
Back