What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

White stuff growing on sphagnum

Hello my name is gio and i was wondering if someone could help me identify these white specks and green growth that has been growing on my sphagnum any help appreciated thanks!

Hm...can't seem to figure out how to post pictures...lol. Can someone help with that too😄

You need to upload your images to an image-hosting site like Flickr or Imgur and then click on the insert image button above the text box and paste the direct link to the image in the box that pops up.

You can just edit your post to include the picture rather than posting a new reply with each attempt. You want to copy the BBCode share link from Imgur for it to show up as an image on the forum.

The green specks in the sphagnum look like algae growth to me. I don't think it is anything to worry about. The bluish-green strand at the top looks like it could be fungus though. I would remove it. It doesn't look like your sphagnum is too wet but it would help if you could describe the conditions you are keeping it in.

kKZxbGP.jpg

Qh1AZxA.jpg

wWvva2Y.jpg

Edit: I added your images for you.

Last edited:
Grown under a grow light bulb in a mostly sealed terrarium but with a cracked open top water once ever other day was watering everyday before

The light im using is incandescent grow bulb ik incandescent lights are said to be bad but ive had success with this one on my plants so ive just kept using it

Idk if that info can help in any way just felt it should be mentioned

I would ditch the sealed top on your terrarium and probably the terrarium in general. Closed conditions make it easy for mold to take hold and the plant we can see in your picture is a temperate species and will not grow long term under lights in a terrarium. What are the weather conditions like in your area?

Weather conditions are sunny good for growing plants outdoors but air is not humid and I would be happy to ditch it but how can i maintain humidity while keeping it outdoors?

The need for humidity is really not as high as you believe. Most carnivorous plants can be adapted to grow in low humidity, especially if their soil is kept wet. Your sarrcenia will benefit from being moved outdoors The only loss would be the older leaves, they'd brown and shrivel but new growth will come in that can handle the low humidity. Make the move slowly, keep it inside without the lid, move it to the shadiest spot outdoors, a spot that is shaded during midday, and then move it to a regular spot. Generally anywhere you can grow tomatoes you can grow north american carnivorous plants.

Hm i see I will aclimate it to lower humidity over the course of a week or two then ill repot and move outside. But as for the growth or the white specks i saw on the growth are they a danger to my plant ?

Back