Informational! Informational!:  3
Likes Likes:  4
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Utricularia from wetlands in Alaska

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plant is probably macrorhiza, especially if it is free-floating. Utricularia vulgaris is not native to North America.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you @Tanukimo for this additional criterium related to the absence of roots.
    @jeff 2: Here is a microscopy of a bladder. We can see a bunch of quadrifidal hairs floatting around. Another strong indication of U. macrorhiza it seems.

Yesterday, I participated to a fish survey in the Chena Slough. It is part of the program of Elodea's eradication. I was surprised to find again Utricularia alive and well despite the herbicide disseminated against the invasive plant. I thought that Utricularias were found in bodies of still water only but definitely, they do well in streams ! See the pic bellow.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes for U.macrorhiza .

On U.macrorhiza : the quadrifids with the longer pair with apex apiculate,parallel or slightly divergent , the shorter pair with apex rounded, slightly to considerably divergent or slightly reflexed, with an included angle of up to 190

To confirm with a photo of spur

jeff
    Last edited by jeff 2; 08-15-2017 at 12:32 AM.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    I used http://www.zupimages.net/ instead of Google drive.
    I'll have to look into that as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @jeff 2: I will have no spur picture for this year. The blooming is over. I think we will get confirmation with the DNA pretty soon now.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, I really ponder about the resistance to the cold of this plant. I mean, the still water gets totally frozen over 2m of depth here during water. Thus, it means that the plant freezes hard every winter, thaw in April/May and keeps going for about 4 months before freezing again. When you think about it, this plant spends more time frozen than not. wow !
    this plant make turion ( small buds resting, in fact young foliage balls tightly clamped.)
    In winter, in situ, they descend to the bottom of the pond (Where there is open water) to return to spring on the surface .

ex situ ,in winter , if in your tank you have no open water , They must be returned to shelter.

I think we will get confirmation with the DNA pretty soon now.
    for me with a DNA ( genome) difficult to make a determination , but with a consensus tree by phylogenetic , yes .

like here http://scialert.net/fulltext/?doi=ijb.2007.56.63

jeff
    Last edited by jeff 2; 08-16-2017 at 12:54 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff 2 View Post
    for me with a DNA ( genome) difficult to make a determination , but with a consensus tree by phylogenetic , yes .
    If I'm not mistaken, it's usually possible to ID a species using a "genetic barcode"--a gene that's unique for each species, but fairly homogenous within a species (usually a mitochondrial gene, I think). It's not terribly useful for phylogenies on its own, because for those you need multiple genes, but it's useful if all you want to do is ID to the species level.
    The worst thing [about being an adult] is when you realize that oreos are just OK
    --Zach Weinersmith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello guys,

To reconstruct phylogenies, you need to compare between species something they have in common (gene(s) or protein(s)). I saw >50 sequences of diverse utricularias of the NCBI database and I will extract from my own genome the gene/protein that has been the most deposited in the database. If this element is long enough and pertinent, I'll do a phylogeny of the utricularias and place my own in it.
    Without reconstructing a phylogeny, the element I will extract from my genome can be sent for comparison to the database (we call this doing a BLAST search) and the best matches will be returned to me. It takes less than a minute to have a good idea of the ID of something but all depend of the database.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast