What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia from wetlands in Alaska

• Thread starter Anne-Lise
  • Start date
[MENTION=3500]jeff 2[/MENTION]: I will have no spur picture for this year. The blooming is over. I think we will get confirmation with the DNA pretty soon now. :-D

Also, I really ponder about the resistance to the cold of this plant. I mean, the still water gets totally frozen over 2m of depth here during water. Thus, it means that the plant freezes hard every winter, thaw in April/May and keeps going for about 4 months before freezing again. When you think about it, this plant spends more time frozen than not. wow !

this plant make turion ( small buds resting, in fact young foliage balls tightly clamped.)
In winter, in situ, they descend to the bottom of the pond (Where there is open water) to return to spring on the surface .

ex situ ,in winter , if in your tank you have no open water , They must be returned to shelter.

I think we will get confirmation with the DNA pretty soon now.

for me with a DNA ( genome) difficult to make a determination , but with a consensus tree by phylogenetic , yes .

like here http://scialert.net/fulltext/?doi=ijb.2007.56.63

jeff

Last edited:
for me with a DNA ( genome) difficult to make a determination , but with a consensus tree by phylogenetic , yes .
If I'm not mistaken, it's usually possible to ID a species using a "genetic barcode"--a gene that's unique for each species, but fairly homogenous within a species (usually a mitochondrial gene, I think). It's not terribly useful for phylogenies on its own, because for those you need multiple genes, but it's useful if all you want to do is ID to the species level.

Hello guys,

To reconstruct phylogenies, you need to compare between species something they have in common (gene(s) or protein(s)). I saw >50 sequences of diverse utricularias of the NCBI database and I will extract from my own genome the gene/protein that has been the most deposited in the database. If this element is long enough and pertinent, I'll do a phylogeny of the utricularias and place my own in it.
Without reconstructing a phylogeny, the element I will extract from my genome can be sent for comparison to the database (we call this doing a BLAST search) and the best matches will be returned to me. It takes less than a minute to have a good idea of the ID of something but all depend of the database.

This reminds me of a phrase taught in Biology class: "Ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny." I'm not so sure that's true our plants.

In Sarracenia the phrase likely holds true, considering how young pitchers all look either like S. purpurea or S. minor hybrids.

Bonjour

utricularia in USA :
https://plants.usda.gov/java/nameSearch

in Alaska:
UTRICULAIRE.png

quadrifids hairs for stygia and ochroleuca

UTRICULAIRE1.png

Except the quadrifid hairs, the spur of the flower is a very good discreminant, pity that we do not have pictures is still the easiest and least expensive way

Last edited:
Back