What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Three new plants

Hi guys! I just went to a terrarium event and got three new plants, but she wasn't able to give me the species name for any of them so I can't look up specific care instructions. Any help would be appreciated! I have a Nepenthes, a Sundew and an unknown pitcher plant (she called it a sweet pitcher plant). The pics are here

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
That third plant you have there is definitely a sarracenia. It looks to be a s. purpurea or a hybrid containing it which means that you will want to separate it from the other two because it needs a winter dormancy to survive long term. It'll also appreciate the higher light levels found outside. Besides that you might want to move that nepenthes to a different container because that one appears to be undrained which is bad for nepenthes.

Last edited:
That third plant you have there is definitely a sarracenia. It looks to be a s. purpurea or a hybrid containing it which means that you will want to separate it from the other two because it needs a winter dormancy to survive long term. It'll also appreciate the higher light levels found outside. Besides that you might want to move that nepenthes to a different container because that one appears to be undrained which is bad for nepenthes.

If I move the Sarracenia to its own pot would it be best for it to winter outside? I live in an apartment that would be difficult to have plants outside, but I do have pretty large east and west facing windows that it can be by. Other than placing the plant in natural winter I'm not sure how to winter the plant, so I'm open to suggestions. I have a solid two inches of drainage gravel at the bottom of the terrarium, but if you think it would be better I have a pot I can put the nepenthes in as well.

The Sarracenia may be pure purpurea, and should not be referred to as "sweet pitcher." That is a term used only for the rubra complex. All those plants more or less need different conditions; purpurea should be outdoors in full sun with a peat-based soil, the sundew (likely tokaiensis, but hard to tell from the angle of the photo) would prefer full sun and could live with the Sarr for the most part but would die under hard freezes and so should be protected from that, the Nepenthes is probably either ventricosa or "ventrata" (more likely the latter) and will do fine in an open sphagnum mix and partial sun to strong diffused lighting, indoors where humidity will be at least somewhat higher (they're not as picky as some people say, and you should avoid misting them because that causes only local extreme humidity fluctuations and can invite fungus or water burn).

The Sarracenia may be pure purpurea, and should not be referred to as "sweet pitcher." That is a term used only for the rubra complex. All those plants more or less need different conditions; purpurea should be outdoors in full sun with a peat-based soil, the sundew (likely tokaiensis, but hard to tell from the angle of the photo) would prefer full sun and could live with the Sarr for the most part but would die under hard freezes and so should be protected from that, the Nepenthes is probably either ventricosa or "ventrata" (more likely the latter) and will do fine in an open sphagnum mix and partial sun to strong diffused lighting, indoors where humidity will be at least somewhat higher (they're not as picky as some people say, and you should avoid misting them because that causes only local extreme humidity fluctuations and can invite fungus or water burn).

I can easily accommodate the nepenthes, and I have peat based soil to put the sarracenia in, but I don't have a safe place outdoors to put plants. Is there a way I can accommodate them indoors? I have nice big sunny windows, so I can give them full sun for part of the day. Is that enough? And what about wintering the sarracenia? Is there a good way to winter it if I don't have an outdoor space for it? If there isn't a good way for me to keep them happy indoors I will have to find them other homes, which would make me sad but I'll do whatever is best for the plants. Thanks for your help!

Back