What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera binata form identification

• Thread starter adnedarn
  • Start date

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
Hello! I have some random D. binata forms which I can't directly track to where they came from anymore. Care to take a stab at identification with me? I always doubt my own guesses so... Thanks in advance! lol
edit: sorry for the sideways photos. ugh

This plant seems to be weed with a Sarracenia, but I've had that pot for a long time and the D. binata is fairly new (and not by the other D. binata plants). I didn't even notice at the time of taking the photo that there was T type leaves as well as a multi-point
20180222000534-e708ae90-me.jpg

This is multiple growth points at this point, but I LOVE how it looks when it's all full like this!
20180222000540-d8104f11-me.jpg

These are pretty huge, it stands about 12"-18" long and doesn't seem to put out a lot of leaves at a time like other D. binata. It flowers a frequently, but doesn't seem to make seed (on its own at least) The flower stalk is even very tall!

20180222000621-2df7b539-me.jpg

20180222000625-87df053a-me.jpg

Hello! I have some random D. binata forms which I can't directly track to where they came from anymore. Care to take a stab at identification with me? I always doubt my own guesses so... Thanks in advance! lol
edit: sorry for the sideways photos. ugh

This plant seems to be weed with a Sarracenia, but I've had that pot for a long time and the D. binata is fairly new (and not by the other D. binata plants). I didn't even notice at the time of taking the photo that there was T type leaves as well as a multi-point

It looks like a plant I bought from Meadowview Biological Station, Drosera binata Dichotoma. It has similar coloration, size, and mix of T- Type and Multi-Point leaf shape.

That's just my two cents worth.

Good growing,
Mike

It's my understanding that D. dichotoma (or D. binata var. dichotoma) leaves always stand upright in good light. The drooping leaves are more typical of D. multifida.

I would say it looks an awful lot like Marston Dragon but that cultivar will self-pollinate (it's quite weedy, though the offspring are rather lackluster from what I'm told.)

D. multifida will hold upright leaves under proper conditions; there are forms of both D. multifida and dichotoma that stand up and flop. The first few photos do look like a hybrid of the two, large leaves and broad branch habit like dichotoma but increased branching and red color more similar to multifida. The last one if a different plant may well be a pure multifida form with that many branches.

I can't wait for the taxonomic evaluation of this group. It's such a mess.

I can't wait for the taxonomic evaluation of this group. It's such a mess.

Do you know if someone has taken it on and if so who?

If the group ends up broken into many new species I'm not sure I will feel much enlightened by that. I would prefer subspecies but that is not the current trend.

Do you know if someone has taken it on and if so who?

If the group ends up broken into many new species I'm not sure I will feel much enlightened by that. I would prefer subspecies but that is not the current trend.

It's my understanding that Greg Bourke is working on it, though I could be wrong. I remember hearing that someone was doing work on South African species as well, but it seems like that should have been published by now.

Based on what I know about this group, I would say that subspecies or even a lower rank such as the current variety ranking (I think some people even use forma right now?) would be the right call. It really depends on who's writing it up though, unfortunately.

@ hcarlton Yes, the last one is a different one. I posted 3 different plants.

Thanks for the info guys! Glad I wasn't just missing some clean cut way to identify each of them.

Back