What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What type of this Sarracenia

• Thread starter Jmetalian
  • Start date
Hello everyone, I bought a Sarracenia from Bauhaus and I need help on identifying the specie. On following I can gladly accept tips about it. I already repotted to a bigger and deeper pot. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG-20180509-WA0065.jpg
    IMG-20180509-WA0065.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 100
S. purpurea. The deeper pot wasn't required

Yeah exactly. I had only that kind of pot currently so i used it. Thanks fredg.

Judging by it's color it could use more light. Most purpurea turn red to varying degrees and do not stay pure green like that.Like the other sarracenia it will require a winter dormancy so growing it indoors year round isn't recommended.

Does a light works ? If it does how much lumen and how much distance do i need?

I'm not sure, I don't grow mine under lights but I know that people do. You'd probably want fairly strong lights and to have it be as close as possible. Doing all this, you'll still have to find a way to provide a winter dormancy though.

My light is 10 cm away and 1521 lumen 14 watt led. The picture i send in the post first was the first day after coming the shop. From that day, it stays just under the light but a problem is that i have brown tips somehow. What are those, can't understand?

Attachments

• 20180603_010505.jpg
    20180603_010505.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 93
It looks like leaf burn on the tips but that shouldn't occur with the LED's.

Uçlarda yaprak yanması gibi görünüyor ama LED'lerle birlikte olmamalıdır.

What is your watering regime for this case?

Bu durumda sulama rejiminiz nedir?

I only water it with battery water after the water in tray completely goes off. That corresponds i think 2 full days. Can watering make a damage like that?

Last edited:
S. purpurea likes a lot of water, I have seen it grown very well as a floating plant. Please remember it is a bog plant and stand it in water continuously.

I really can't understand why is this happening. It is always in a water tray, and it is also under in led light right now. Because firstly it was outside but the temperature is pretty high right now. I moved it to inside under grow lights. And the brown tips are still going. Probably it will die somehow, i really don't get it. Any tips ?

Attachments

• 20180606_102218.jpg
    20180606_102218.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 87
This is basically a random guess, but it seems to me it might be responding to lower humidity indoors than it had before.

The plant should be sitting in water with water in the pitchers.

The plant should be sitting in water with water in the pitchers.

Hey Gang,

Keep in mind where this plant grows in the wild. It's a bog plant, from the Eastern US (this variety looks to be venosa, so probably mid Atlantic states). Thus, they get very hot days, and usually the nights are quite warm too during the growing season.

It's normal for older leaves to slowly brown and eventually die. Leaves don't last an entire season usually. As long as center is healthy, you should shortly (if not already) see new growth coming.

Finally, these plants are subject to LOTS of sun in the wild, and need at least a half a day, more is better. You can use lights, but real sunlight is best.

Humidity is really not an issue. Like any plant, if you suddenly change the environment from humid to dry, it will suffer, but they are otherwise very tolerant of varying humidity levels.

I find we fuss over our plants way more than we need to. Give it the environment it likes, then leave it alone.

Leaves don't last an entire season usually.

Very interesting.
Here in the UK I find that S. purpurea pitchers last well into a second season. That's in unheated greenhouses.

Leaves on S. purpurea are known to last upward of 3 years in some localities. The tips of the oldest may be well-browned and crisp, but the overall leaf can remain active a very long time.

My concern is this statement - often a problem with novice growers and 'upgrading' the pot. What type of soil did you use? Nutrients in the soil (eg potting soil) harm the plant.
Hello everyone, I bought a Sarracenia from Bauhaus and I need help on identifying the specie. On following I can gladly accept tips about it. I already repotted to a bigger and deeper pot. Thank you.

Wow Sarracenia!! It is a genus comprising 8 to 11 species of North American pitcher plants, commonly known as trumpet pitchers. The genus belongs to the family Sarraceniaceae, that also contain the closely allied genera Darlingtonia and Heliamphora.

Wow Sarracenia!! It is a genus comprising 8 to 11 species of North American pitcher plants, commonly known as trumpet pitchers. The genus belongs to the family Sarraceniaceae, that also contain the closely allied genera Darlingtonia and Heliamphora.

This doesn't really help answer the question, and is information that is pretty readily found on most CP website and/or is common knowledge for most growers of these species.

Back