What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this really a moorei?

• Thread starter Ryan0988
  • Start date
I ordered a medium sarracenia moorei from a carnivorous plant nursery but when it arived it doesn’t look anything like a moorei.
02ad6fa3ba2c25f12b63e35d1becea4c.jpg
b0497a6fca2d24976f382f69545ec073.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I don't think so. It appears to have S. purpurea genetics in it.

Certainly not Moorei. Looks like x catesbaei?

It's not S. x moorei, but without info on its direct origins it could be a lot of other things. Certainly along the lines of x catesbaei as it has strong purp influence and one of the taller trumpet species, but could be any number of crosses.

I emailed them about it and they replied that its genetic variation in the hybrid though i have trouble seeing how the traits seen in this plants can come form a mix of S.flava and S.leucophylla

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the first thing I thought when I saw it was x catesbaei... I don't know what's happened with the nurseries in this country, but something seems to have happened wrong in the past 5ish years.

Assuming it's a catesbaei, if the nursery won't fix it, put it for trade for a x moorei in the trades forum?

I emailed the carnivorous plant nursery about it and they replied that its genetic variation in the hybrid though i have trouble seeing how the traits seen in this plants can come form a mix of S.flava and S.leucophylla

That's BS. Its NOT a Moorei, and suggesting that "genetic variation" is the cause for the purpurea traits is bullpuckey, especially since it appears that they are selling a specific clone. They are making excuses. If they won't remedy the problem, then flag them as dishonest and spend your money elsewhere in the future.

Whether it would do any good or not, you could (politely) let them know that you posted a photo of the plant on a carnivorous plant forum(s) and where told by several experienced growers (might even give them a link to this thread and any other on other forums if you have posted to such) that the nursery's ID is incorrect and you would like either a refund or replacement. Anyone can make a mistake but I would expect they would want to know if they had a misidentified plant. Not good for business to send out plants that are incorrectly IDed.

That's BS. Its NOT a Moorei, and suggesting that "genetic variation" is the cause for the purpurea traits is bullpuckey, especially since it appears that they are selling a specific clone. They are making excuses. If they won't remedy the problem, then flag them as dishonest and spend your money elsewhere in the future.

Ive contacted them again about it and they are sending a replacement. Thanks for the advice i was really confused when i first saw this plant.

Last edited:
Glad to see they were willing to remedy the situation. I was about to add them to my "no buy" list, lol

Ive contacted them again about it and they are sending a replacement. Thanks for the advice i was really confused when i first saw this plant.

Nice to hear that they are sending a replacement. Please let us know how it goes and post a photo if possible! :D

Nice to hear that they are sending a replacement. Please let us know how it goes and post a photo if possible! :D

Sure ill make sure i do that.

I'm late but I agree with all the others... I'm glad they're sending another- as long as they don't just send another division of the same plant. lol

I did remove the 3rd photo with the vendor tag and the vendors name from your posts since that's not allowed here. Please do post a photo of your new plant, but leave the nursery identification off the post/photos.
Thanks! And good luck.

The replacement plant just arrived
921502797a670cd5bf7c969c55c20278.jpg
bdc08e14a6eca1c7486d28f8450b169c.jpg

Now that might be a moorei...but a bulge in the pitcher like that is really odd for that hybrid.

Back