What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does this look like a Sundew sprouting or am I too hopeful?

• Thread starter Pitbrew
  • Start date
Hello there, I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me if this looks like a sundew coming up? I have planted 1. Drosera Binata, 2. Drosera Peltata ssp Auriculata, 3. Drosera Peltata ssp Peltata and 4. Utricularia dichotoma, I didn't label the pots as I just had them set apart and was remembering where they were but my housemate moved them when cleaning so now I am unsure which variety it is. I have identified the bottom plant as most likely being khaki weed, but the softer green one doesn't look like a weed that grows here and was kind of hopeful it might be a sundew coming up. I will use labels in future to make it easier for identification, sorry and thank you for your time!

Sundew.jpg

'Sorry to say, that doesn't appear to be a sundew. I have not grown utricularia from seeds so I don't know about those. Sundews can easily take up to 2 months to sprout, or more, so keep the faith! Look for tiny, glistening drops of dew just barely above the soil surface. Good luck!

Thank you for your reply, I was thinking its a bit early for them to come up as it has only been just over a month, I think I just got too excited lol. Oh ok thank you I did not realise that they will have their small dewy drops as they grow, I will use that as an indicator for any more I might see coming up. Thanks again bluemax!

Seeds are almost never produced by U. dichotoma and would even less commonly be sold, and D. peltata has no subspecies; auriculata, peltata, hookeri etc. are different species and have very different looking seeds generally; auriculata not dissimilar to binata seeds, peltata and the others small rounded seeds. Any place selling seeds under such old names I would be suspect of. The vast majority of carnivorous plants too, start producing trap mechanisms on their very first true leaves, be that tentacles, pitchers, bladders, etc.

Back