What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Hybrid

I've a TC plant which I purchased several years ago.  However, it has now grown out to
the point where I'm becoming quite confident that it is a hybrid, rather than the species
it was intended to be.  At this point, it's still difficult to guess what it really is, although
I've got a pretty good idea.  However, I'd like to see what some of the other nepenthophiles
our there think, so here is a link to a photo of one of the plants' pitchers:
unknown hybrid.  The actual size of the pitcher is 6 or 7 cm, BTW.  

I'll post more information later, including what I believe this is.  For now, I just want to see
what some of you think....

Very nice plant! My guess is that one parent is N. lowii or N. ephipiata. Tendril and also pitcher colouration look like this to me. Of course the hairs under the lid are missing. Having bought this plant as pure species does normally mean it was grown from wild collected seed - but none of the described hybrids would yield a plant with a white interior...

At least you should know the mother plant for sure.

Joachim

Hi,

Just an uneducated guess. If it is from wild collected seed, could it be N. x kinabaluensis? I feel that it has some N. villosa in it seeing those teeth on the peristome. I doesn't exactly match the photos that I have seen of this hybrid, but then I haven't seen any pics of juvenile plants either.

Regards,

Christer

I agree with Christerb, looks like a Kinabaluaensis. It DEFINETLY has Villosa in it.

The circular flat green lid says to me.. macrophylla. The other half?? hard to say. Perhaps lowii as the pitcher color and wings seem to lean in that direction and that is also a likely hybrid if it was wild collected seed.

So for now I say xTrusmadiensis

Tony

OK, I think I've gotten all the guesses I'm going to get. So, here's the scoop:
The mother of this plant is N. villosa. Based upon its current appearance, I think
it very likely that this is indeed N. x kinabaluensis (i.e., N. villosa x rajah).
Thanks to everyone for his/her input!

I would definetly say Villosa, but im not sure with the N. x Kinabaluaensis, they tend to have more squat pitchers.....possibly N. (Villosa x Rajah) x Macrophylla? Just my cheap 2 cents,
Kevin

Very nice! I agree looks like x kinabluensis(sp?):) Very well grown plant.....any updated pics?
smile_m_32.gif

Jeff, What was it labeled as??

Thanks,
Robin

Back