What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For several years I've been rescuing nepenthes from Lowes and Home Depot. Unfortunately the only type I ahve positively ided is Nepenthes ventricosa. I have three other varieties and I hope the good people of this forum can help.

Nepenthes 1: I've had this plany for a little over three years. I bought it from Home Depot and it is a Little Pot of Horrors brand. The tag says "Madagascan Species." The pitchers are pretty much exactly 6 inches. I grow them in what I'd probably call an intermediate tank. I bought two at the same time and one ended up in lowland conditions. That one was stunted and grew very very slowly (meaning three years later and it has only ever put out about 7 leaves). Definently a highland or intermediate plant. From other posts to this forum, I'm guessing it is Nepenthes X Judith Finn but I thought I'd post it to make sure.

Nepenthes 2: This one is a complete mystery to me. I'm almost positive I bought it at Lowes. When I bought it I thought it might be a ventracosa but I don't think so anymore. I've had it for around three months in the same terrerium as Nep. 1 and 2. The characteristics that make me think it is different from my other neps is the shap of its lid, the splotchy coloring on the inside of the pitcher, and the three hairs that stickup where the lid attaches to the body of the pitcher. It may be too young to id at this point but I'm hoping for the best.

Nepenthes 3: I've had various individuals of this type for nearly as long as Nepenthes 1 (the pictures below are of year old plants). These grow much faster then Nepenthes 1 and its leaves are a much lighter green and thiner. Other distinguishing characteristics are the bright red splotchy coloring on the body of the pitcher, and the lips of the pitcher get points most of the time. The tag says they are an "Indonesian Hybrid." The one I've had for several years was putting out pitchers roughly 5 inches (until I had to move it outside where it got sun burned). If it is a hybrid, I think there is some alata in it somewhere.

Thanks for any help you can give me in solving these mysteries.

The pictures are available at: My WebShots Photo Albums

Click on the nepenthes gallary.

#1,2 looks like the mass produced N. Judith Finn
#3,4 some sort of N. sanguinea or N. sanguinea hybrid?
#5,6 kinda looks like N. maxima x N. alata or something like it.

Tony

#3,4 definitely look like my TC N. sanguinea.

I agree with Tony, the third one does looks like a cross between a maximaX and something else.
confused.gif

Thanks a bunch for the IDs. I was pretty sure about the X Judith Finn but it is always nice to get a second and third opinion.

The other two you have given me great starting points. Thanks again!

Back