What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera capillaris ?

Hi,

Here is another of my most probably wrong labeled Drosera. I bought it as Drosera capillaris. I think it rather is once again Drosera spatulata. Here are the pictures :

Christian

Looks like spatulata to me...definitely not capillaris. I defer to someone elses expertise on a positive ID though.

Thanks for all the pictures. That helps a lot.
smile.gif

Suzanne

Looks exactly like my spatulatas....even the way the flower buds are grouped on the scape... It's a good bet it's spatulata

It's cappilaris. Why? I have some weird reasons:

My spatulata's have smaller spoons compared to the leaf; my cappilaris has larger spoons

My cappilaris has 5-10 flowers on it's scapes, spatulata has 20, usually

I have a strong inner feeling that it's cappilaris
tounge.gif

In my experience, capillaris is much redder and also has rounder "spoons" and narrower, straighter stems (like the plant in the link).

It doesn't look like capillaris at all to me. In my opinion you can rule that one out.

There are so many forms of spatulata...and similar looking sundews, you need a finer eye than mine to positively ID it.

Hi,

Here are two more pictures from today :

Maybe it helps..

Christian

My capillaris isn't red yet, but I am starting to see some pinkish reddish in the new leaves it is producing. I have been giving it 120 watts of artificial light during the day and it gets morning and evening sunlight whenever the sun is coming up and going down. I think it is working.:)

I believe this is D. spatulata, based on the stylistic bifurcation, and the distinctive lighter ring visable in the photo on the petals. It is not D. capillaris. D. capillaris has glabarous scapes and the styles are additionally bifurcated.

Color of the rosettes, and indeed, shape of the lamina are not reliable determinators of themselves, there is too much variability within the species.

sundewarttest4.jpg

Hi,

thnak you for your answers! I already thougt this plant is not Drosera capillaris. One more disappointment....

Tomorrow (Saturday), we will have our annual meeting of the GFP (german carnivorous plants society). Maybe i will be lucky and find a Drosera capillaris.

best wishes

Christian

Christian,

I can easily furnish you with seed of several varieties. Please remind me in another week or so, as I am currently waiting for the D. burkeana seed to mature to share with you.

sundewarttest4.jpg

Back