What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown cp

confused.gif
i have a CP that looks like a cactus, without thorns, is very soft and pale green, in late spring it blooms, that when it becomes Carnivorous, the flower has a star shape, and its deep red, has many dewy hairs inside, where the insects are trapped, i will send a photo whenever its possible

Hi Serebi

Welcome to the forums.
smile.gif

Your description sounds a bit like stapelia...which is a succulent but is not carnivorous. Do you mean the insects get caught in the flower? I don't know of any CP that has carnivorous flowers. How big is the flower? Stapelia look like cactus without thorns and have star-shaped flowers that can be deep red or maroon. Do the flowers stink? Its kinda hard to I.D. without a photo. But maybe a little more description with size would help.

Suzanne

This plant is almost a stapelia, but it very strange, flowers seem to have a dewy liquid in the hairs, they indeed move as if they were sundew´s hair, a visible nourishment visible after 1 week of "feeding", no smell is detected, my plant is living on a pure sphagnum soil, its doing fine.

Could this be a very oddly shaped pinguicula? Some pings become succulent-like when in dormancy (though I haven't seen any that look like cacti) and become dewy in warmer weather. The flower stems have dew...

Carrion Cactus? I have one, it does the exact same thing, and looks exactly the same!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Maybe is a new specie of pinguicula, this one seems to be a carnivorous flower. and no the flower has no smell. actually the entire flower is dewy, insects are being digested by the flower!° i got this plant by a friend, it naturally grows on high mountains.

Pinguicula flowers are not covered in sticky 'dew'. There are no carnivorous plants that have carnivorous flowers.

Check out this link and you can browse through photos from all the different types of carnivorous genera.
CP Photo Finder

Tony

at first i thought your plants was a pinguicula , then a stapelia , then a devils claw , please get a pic .

it could be a sundew , my mom always mistakes my rosseted sundews as flowers .

Back