What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarr & dr questions

Hello everybody,

I have a few question about the ID of my plants, I really hope you guess can help me out!

Nr 1: I've got this Sarr, and I'm realy wondering what it is....unknown sarr

Nr 2: How do you tell apart the different subsp. of purp??? if you need it here is the pick.

Nr 3: are there subsp. of D. Aliciae?? if so, what are they, and how do you tell them apart??? here my plant

Thank you for replies!!!

Greetings & happy growing,

WildFire

For the unknown Sarr, I am guessing pure Psittacina (sp?) (the parrot pitcher plant).  Maybe S. Wrigleyana? (Leucophylla X Psittacina)

For the Purp,  it looks like subspecies Venosa, because of the veining.  I could be wrong though.

As for the Drosera, I have no idea.  My D. Aliciae is still in the microscopic seedling stage!

Those are an amateur's guesses!

SF

Sarracenia purpurea ssp. purpurea does not have hairs on the outside of the pitchers. Sarracenia purpurea ssp. venosa does have fine hairs on the outside of the pitchers. S. purpurea ssp. venosa also has shorter plumper pitchers than the Northern subspecies.

the first sar looks like a pure s. pssitacina , or its could be an s. x wrigleyana , and for some weird reason it also looks like a weird version of darlingtonia , the second sar looks like a s. purpurea ssp purpurea , if you live int eh northern states it more likely a pupurea but if if you live in the southern states then it could be a venosa . the sundew looks like a d. aliceae to me .

Goldtrap2690,

You are right about the sundew, but, at the "South African Droserae" theard, it said:

"Is anyone currently growing any of these plants?

admirabilis
aliciae "Plains form"
ect."

So, if there is a "plains form", what other forms exist and how do you tell them apart???

NickHubbell & SnowyFalcon & Goldtrap2690,

Thank you for the replys, I'll take a realy close look at my purp tomorow. For my other sarr, it probably is a pssitacina. I bought this plant at a normal, everyday gardening store, and i don't think they sell any hybrids...

WildFire

well, the Drosera aliciae "plain form" is proubly rare and your plant look like it'is a TC plants you normaly get from flower shops so you got a typical one.....
regards Bjørn

Thank you very much, thats what I wanted to know. My purp has indeed hairs on it, so its a purpurea ssp. venosa. Thank you everybody for your replys/answers.

Greetings & happy growing

WildFire

Hello,
     #1 Is definetly S. Psittacina
     #2 Is definetly S. Purpurea ssp. Venosa*
     #3 Is most likely D. Aliciae
                 Kevin

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (sarracenialuver @ Sep. 04 2003,12:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> #2 Is definetly S. Purpurea ssp. Purpurea
   [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
But it has hairs!!?? I'm realy geting confused overhere now.....

WildFire

Ahh, thank you! and about the cofee, if you would live in my neiberhood, I would offer you some... we got this coffee maker, thats uses beans instead of the powder, so its alway really good.

Greetings & happy cofeedrinking,

WildFire

Back