What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting sarracenia

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
Hello

I saw this sarracenia at the Meadowview event and thought it was very interesting.  Anybody know what this is?

It has a very tall thin tube that flares to a wide, sloping mouth with a brilliant magenta lip.  The lid stands straight up, is very flat with just a litte bit of ruffling to the edge.

I would assume its a hybrid...anyone know parentage or anything about this plant?

unknownsarr.jpg

Thanks!

Suzanne

Maybe we can call it S. x "HOLY MOLY" lol... That is a beautiful plant
smile.gif

Steve

Definately got a lot of leuco in it,whatever it is it`s beutiful!
biggrin.gif

I think we should call it S. x "Cabaret"  (however you spell it...I mean the big musical stage production.  Man I hates being a bad speller) because it is so showy, and is wearing lipstick.

I think pondboy may be right that it has some leuco...I think there is purp in there too, because of the ruffled, upright lid. However, you'd think that a purp hybrid would be tubbier and more prone. I guess you never know what traits will get exibitted.

It might have gotten the nice color from a purp too....

SF

Yeah, I was thinking some leuco and maybe purp also but that lid is SO flat and so upright. There is just a hint of ruffling around the edges. That tube is very narrow and the mouth slopes down quite a bit soooo...I dunno. It was quite the eye-catcher though...so different from most of the others. Might have to check into acquiring that.
smile.gif

Where's Mike King when you need him??
biggrin.gif

I like those names y'all suggested...lol...Holy Moley and Cabaret (spelled correctly Schloaty&#33
wink.gif

I have written to Phil Sheridan to ask what it is but might take a while to get a reply.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Maybe it's a Leuco/Catesbaei cross. It would explain the upright hood and the purp influence.

As far as Naming: S. x "Flaming Lips" or S. x "Rolling Stones"

Why not just Sarracenia 'Mick Jagger' or 'Hot Lips.' 'Gator Mouth' works too. I have one I call 'Pink Eye.' I wish i could get *%$#@! Easy Designer to work and I would post it.

Sure is a striking plant. I have a hard time trying to think of what it could be. I'm guessing it is not just a simple hybrid between two spp. I'm thinking something complex, that is still mostly leuco, such as (leuco x purp) x leuco, or something vaguely similar to that. I actually just ordered a (leuco x purp) x leuco from Dean Cook, so I'll have something to compare it to. Another possibility in my mind is that it's from a selfed hybrid. Although if you got it at Meadowview, I doubt it, 'cause I know Phil detests self-pollinating Sarracenias. I was there earlier this year and told him I selfed my antho-free psitt x rubra, and he shuddered and told me never to do that again.
I guess if you really want to know what it is, you'll have to self 6 generations from that plant, because that is when the offspring will be true to the parents. Maybe it's 7 generations. Anyone take genetics lately? I can't remember.

Actually its not my plant.
smile.gif
It was just one of the many sarras at MV. At first I kinda thought it was rather "ugly duckling" looking, but its kinda growing on me. I sent Phil Sheridan a copy of the MV photos and I asked what it is. If/when I get a reply I will post it.

I should have made this a contest...then I'd never have to give out the prize. Haw haw!
rolleyes.gif

Something tells me it has some S. minor in the way the tube is shaped.

I like the name "Cabaret"! Maybe you should mention that to Phill Shriden!

That is a really beatiful plant. Dont know what it is. But am sure its has mostly leuco. But then have no clue what it could have been mixed with. Probably a leuco bred with another leuco hybrid. But Gosh! That is such a pretty plant.

Hehehe.. Call it whatever you want, I just want some seeds of it...
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

Steve

I call it Sarracenia x 'Beautifuliana' (Heavy Veined)
tounge.gif

I for one don't like the plant. The skinny lower part and large upper part makes for an ugly combo in my opinion.

That is a very beautiful Sarracenia hybrid. I will be keeping my eyes out for one of these
smile.gif

I am still waiting on an ID on it from Phil Sheridan. When I find out, I'll certainly post it so y'all can look for it.

BTW...the second pitcher you see in the background is the same plant...you can see that there is a bit less pink--lots more white. The back of that pitcher shows nicely how flat and upright the lid is.

Traphole...ya got grit! You flew in the face of convention and bucked the majority! lol Good for you to voice your disagreement.
smile.gif

I have a feeling there's rubra in there. I have a catesbaei x rubra which has a similar shape, but without the white colouration.

I have to agree with Sarracenia. My guess would be (leuco. x purp.)x leuco. When you raise a bunch of siblings from a hybrid like this you see a wide range of characteristics inherited from both parents. It could easily be one-of-a-kind; maybe even deserving cultivar status. Whatever it is, it is really attractive and unique!

Trent

blues.gif
i thinkn this lil guy is cool
there is also a quik reply at the bottom which is pretty cool

Back