What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello all!
First of all, this is the first real post!
smile.gif
Anyways, I was in Lowe's a few days ago, and saw a devastating site: Several Darlingtonia, VFTs, Drosera, and Pings in little plastic "Terrarium Environments"
wow.gif
sad.gif
mad.gif
This made me frious, partially because of the ridiculous care sheet, and partially from their ridiculious care. I was sooo tempted to save them, but they were waayy over priced at $10.00 a piece. I saw a nep that was still pretty healthy as Lowe's CP's go, except for the pitchers, which were all black... I am thinking either a N. gracilis or N. ventricosa. It was small with thin, semi-lanceolate leaves... Can you please post what species of neps you have aquired from Lowe's? Part of the reason I was skeptical was because I didn't know if it was highland or lowland... I think this will help everyone to have a running list!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif
THANKS!

The CPs I've obtained from Lowe's include:
Nepenthes ventricosa
Pinguicula primuliflora
Drosera adelae
Darlingtonia californica
Dionaea muscipula

At least up hear in NY I've never seen any other species in Lowes. And it's disturbing that they have so little knowledge about the care of CP when they say they're gardening professionals. Then again, it shows how resilient CPs can be when they survive for weeks with no water and no light.

The only Nepenthes I saw at Lowes was N. Ventricosa. So the chances are it's probably a Ventricosa.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Teraphage @ June 05 2003,6:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The CPs I've obtained from Lowe's include:
Nepenthes ventricosa
Pinguicula primuliflora
Drosera adelae
Darlingtonia californica
Dionaea muscipula

At least up hear in NY I've never seen any other species in Lowes.  And it's disturbing that they have so little knowledge about the care of CP when they say they're gardening professionals.  Then again, it shows how resilient CPs can be when they survive for weeks with no water and no light.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I totally agree! I saw those exact same species, as well as D. capensis, which was half dead
wow.gif
mad.gif
That is a true indicator about their CP care, half-killing a CAPENSIS! Hopefully, sometime they will get their act together... What amazes me, though is that their orchids, including oncidiums were actually healthy, and some actually had....... NICE FLOWERS
wow.gif
rolleyes.gif
confused.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
So, that's one indicator that they're getting a little better.
confused.gif
maybe someday...
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

I purchased my first tiny nep (several year ago) in one of those plastic cup pots. It turned out to be a ventricosa.

Yes, Lowes is the PITS in taking care of the house plants. The outdoor plants fair a bit better but not by much. Its sickening to see. My last trip to Lowes I found boxes sitting on top of their CP display box...the plants were getting NO light.
mad.gif
i took the boxes off and bought a cobra lily as a rescue.

Suzanne

I have seen vft's, cobras, and a nep...not sure what kind, it was still too small. Also ping prilimliflora, d. aledae, an unidentified sar (looked like a minor, if you can beleive it), and s. purpurea

I once got a Nep from a Lowe's that was labelled N. madagascarensis. Whether or not that's what it truly was, the world will never know; the plant died relatively quickly, ending my very brief attempt to grow those plants.

Wow...an n. madagascarensis at LOWES? That's amazing.

N. madagascarensis? I may just have to drive back out to Lowe's right now!
rolleyes.gif
confused.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

I have gotten N. Judith Finn from Lowes.

the only place iv seen carnivorous plants are at franks, i regurly try to rescue a plant or 2 from them, so far i got a butterwort(which died) a 2 venus flytraps(one also died) and a purple pitcher plant wich had 2 in one pot so i repppotted them, i will try to convince my dad to take me to lowes sometime and maybe save somthing, I'm also amazed that they had cobra lilys and neps, I didnt even know people knew about them!!!

I'd be surprised if it was a Judith Finn, because the leaves were a lot thinner, like ventricosa's...
confused.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

CPs I've obtained from Lowe's:

Drosera:

D. adelae

Dionaea:

D. muscipula 'Common'

Sarracenia:

S. purpurea ssp. venosa

Nepenthes:

N. ventrata(I think. This plant died last year)

BTW, the only plant I did not obtain from Lowe's, my Green Dragon VFT, was obtained at Rockledge Gardens.

I'm currently debating over whether to rescue a not-too-shabby looking S.Purpurea from my local Lowe's. The only issue is that I already have 2 S. Leucophyllas (one of which I just got today at a flea market
smile.gif
) and a Dente flytrap, and I still need to see how much light my college dorm room gets. If it gets enough, then I'll take a stab at saving it. I've also been interested in a sundew I've seen there, but I can't tell which species it might be.

And I agree about the abuse of CPs by hardware/garden stores. My Lowe's keeps them in those hellacious little plastic boxes inside teh store stacked under the orchids (all this adds up to no light for them
sad.gif
). You;d think a plant that helps us keep insect populations down would get a bit more respect.

Lithopsman, I visited two different Lowe's last week and each of them had cubed (as I call them) cp's for sale. In both stores they had these nice-looking yellow sarrs on display. As I looked closer, I could see that they all had been attacked by fungus resulting in the yellow coloration. While I like to rescue cp's from the box stores, I had to turn away from the ones that Lowe's had.
I recently bought a "Louisiana" Iris from Lowe's and when I got it home and opened the plastic bag, I got hit in the nose with the awful smell of fungus and I promptly took it back. I just hope I didn't contaminate any of my other plants with spores.

I also have the same problem as alandallas. I bought 2 S. Purpurea from Lowes and both of them turned yellow. I smelled it this moring and it smells fungus like.

confused.gif
I would return it but I can't find my receipt
confused.gif

LenG444

I purchased from Lowe's:

2 - VFT
1 - Purple Pitcher
1 - Sundew
1 - Butterwort

They were $2.99 or $3.99 each. I can not recall for sure.
They are all doing great.

I might have to go back, and check other locations, and see if there are any Nepenthes ventricosa. I'd like to get 1 of those.

Back