What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to post a photo

• Thread starter Lauderdale
  • Start date
I tried posting this in the "general discussion" board and got 0 answers. A little help please.
I would like to post a photo that is stored in my AOL download file to "identify that plant"
Could somone please step me through the process?
rock.gif
rock.gif

Lauderdale,

I find it easier if you upload pictures to your PFT webspace. Basically, you click on the picture you've uploaded into your webspace. You should come up with a page that looks like this (except it has your picture in it instead of mine).

http://home.petflytrap.com/snowyfa....200.jpg

You'll then click on the little button that says "Image", right above the post message. You will get a little pop up box asking for the URL. Copy the URL into the box and then click OK. Your picture will be posted with your message.

Some servers, such as Geocities, do not allow you to post pictures hosted on their site. Try and see if AOL has such a rule.

SF

Hi Lauderdale
smile.gif

If you have your photos uploaded to AOL's server (as I do), this is the format you use to post a pic:

{img}http://members.aol.com/(your screen name)/(your file name)/{/img}

When you type this in, replace the face brackets with SQUARE brackets. Thats the correct format but if I use that here in this post, it will think I'm trying to post a pic.
smile.gif

Hope that helps you. If you have any more questions, just ask.

Suzanne

Wow! I just realized...I don't think I understand everything I know about this.
smile.gif

I am licensed to pilot an aircraft in instrument conditions; I have ridden a motorcycle and driven a car at better than 156 mph and can accurately shoot a Colt .45.
cool.gif

I appreciate your trying to help me, unfortunately computer technology has passed me by.
sad.gif

Suzanne, what is...no, where is my AOL server?
Falcon, I have a PFT web space?
Let me try this again.  I have a friend who took care of my plants while I was in Reno.  After I retrieved, them she went right out and bought an unknown Nepenthe from a local nursery.  She emailed me a couple of photos to see if I could identify it.  I haven't a clue. The photos are stored in my AOL download file.
rock.gif

smile.gif

Yes, you have space! If the wave of technology has passed you by, it's time to catch up!

Go here, enter the new account option and type in all required info.

http://home.petflytrap.com/communityindex.html

It will come up with your File Manager.  Upload your files off the computer, and follow the instructions I gave in the previous post in order to post them.

Do you have a Private Pilot License?  

SF  
cool.gif

Falcon, Thanks for the info.  I will try to "catch up' with the fast moving world of computers.
I have a commercial, multi-engine license and am instrument and type rated...got them back in the early 70's.  Most of my flying was done in the Bahamas, Central and South America and Alaska. Smallest aircraft flown; a Cessna 150.  Largest; DC 3.  Fastest; right seat in the early Lear Jets.
cool.gif

The only aircraft I've actually flown is a Cessna 172. I was in Civil Air Patrol, which is basically the civilian arm of the USAF, so the Air Force paid for all the gas and the plane rides. The Major who I was flying with let me do all the flying and taxying (sp?) except for the take off and landing. I don't have my license yet, but someday, I will!

SF

Good luck with your flying Falcon.  And remember, good pilots never get lost...they are just slightly disoriented for a few minutes.
biggrin.gif

Hi again

If you would like to use the member space you have at AOL (2MB per screen name I believe) this is what you do:

I assume since you mention Download folder, you are talking about photos that have been emailed to you, that you have already downloaded onto your hard drive in AOL's folder labeled Download. Right? Ok.

Type in keyword (Control + "K" key) "My FTP Space".
This will take you to the FTP (File Transfer Protocol) manager. Click on "See My FTP Space". That will take you to a window which will show you what is stored on your FTP space (I assume nothing
smile.gif
). Bear with me...I'm doing this from memory...Somewhere there, there should be something that offers you some options. What you are looking for is "Upload file"....then type in the file name EXACTLY as it appears (its case sensitive). Click on that and you will get another little window. There you will click on "Find File" (or maybe it says "Browse"...cant remember). That is where you will located your photo in the AOL Download folder. Click on the pic you want. Then you hit the button that says "Send" and off the file goes up to AOL's server. You are then ready to post photos.

It sounds complicated reading it, but once you've tried it, you'll see its no big deal.
smile.gif
Give a whirl.

Suzanne

i tried using the pft webspace to post pics of my vfts and i kept getting this errors everytime i tried to post

THE FOLLOWING ERROR(S) WERE FOUND
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You are not allowed to use that image extension on this board. A valid format is: http://www.domain.com/picture.gif, an invalid format is: http://www.domain.com/picture.one.gif

i don't know why , some people i gave pics to posted it perfectly .

Goldtrap, its a matter of the correct URL. Look carefully, the first one ends as     picture.gif    the second one ends as  picture.one.gif

The system thinks that the file extention is .one and not .gif so it spits it out as invalid. Whenever you get error messages like that go back and double check that every single character you type is correct. URLs are typo, and case sensative. Make a mistake and the whole thing is bad.

Steve

Wow, I didn't know any of this either. I never realised I had web space on pft. Anyway I've followed all the advice on this thread and I hope to see an image. Nothing spectacular, just a small photo I cropped to see if I've finally worked it out correctly.
pitcher.jpg

Now to go to preview and see if it works,..............

It works but the image is sooo huge!! And this is a small cropped part of a bigger picture of 5 or 6 pitchers. How do I make the image smaller??
Thanks.
p.s. now I need to learn how to fly, ride a motorbike and shoot a colt .45, then I'll be as clever as Lauderdale! LOL LOL:laugh:

Neil..  There are several programs that are used to resize pictures. Chances are that one of them is installed in your computer already. If you use Microsoft windows then you undoubtedly have a version of Paint. That is a very simple to use program that works well for resizing pictures.

First, open Paint from the program menu (it may be in a the subfolder accessories). Then clik "File" in the top left and select "new" from the menu. Use the window that opens to select your picture.
When it opens clik "image" from the toolbar and select "strech/skew" from the drop menu. You will then see a window titled "strech and skew" (go figure huh? lol)   One set of value options (the lil white boxes) allows you to alter the horizontal and vertical by percentage. It will default set at 100% meaning, if you enter a number of less than 100% it will shrink the image, if you go over 100 it will expand. All you have to do is shrink the image to a size that you are comfortable with, then clik "file" and select "save as" and save the new resized image (make sure you check the "file type" is set to .jpg ). Thats all there is to it.  The process is basicaly the same no matter what program you use, but you should have Paint in your computer somewhere, it's a MS standard program. Hope this helps.

Good luck
Steve

OK fine..  figure it out for yourself while Im typing to you..  see if I care!!  
tounge.gif

lol

Good job
cool.gif

Steve

Steve - thanks alot!! I'll try your method later. Sorry to make to type everything out but I found it all very interesting.
Thanks again. Neil.:D

No worries Neil... Glad I could help, even if you didnt need it.. lol perhaps someone else will benefit
smile.gif

Nice looking plant by the way
smile.gif

Cheers
Steve

Yes!  Posting a photo is complicated...unnecessarilyso.
mad.gif

I tried setting up my VFT space and thirty one seconds later it says my password has expired.  Wunnerful, just &*((%%^ wunnerful.
I tried typing some other thing someone had mentioned and that doesn't work.
I don't like things that don't work.
mad.gif

Using proper English and without making it unnecessarily complicated...Is there a "SIMPLE" way to do this?
sad.gif

Perhaps I could just send something by U.S. mail.

Wow...really beautiful plant and photo there, Neil!

Yes, resizing is the key. The internet isn't made for large images. Always remember with digital cameras those higher resolutions were intended for PRINTING, not the internet!

Thanks Neil.
smile.gif

Lauderdale...did you try the AOL way? Its really not too hard. It sounds more complicated reading it than doing it.

Suzanne

Back