What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which nep am I?

• Thread starter seedling
  • Start date
unknown0001.jpg

unknown0002.jpg

unknown0003.jpg

I got this Nep mail order and its unclear as to what it is?

Thanks all,

Andre

It looks to me like an N. khasiana , very easy plant to grow .

If it is N. khasiana, it is a neat variety. N. khasiana generally (IMHO) are noticiably hirsute and have quite short tendrils except on upper pitchers. I think it's a hybrid, definetly with N. khasiana. Perhaps these could be possible alternatives:

khasiana x ventricosa
khasiana x alata
maybe even khasiana x X ventrata.

What was it labeled when you purchased it? (Where did you purchase it?) PM me if you wish.

I bought it from a guy in Quebec a place called tropical jungle. When I spoke to him on the phone he said the only nep they had for sale was N.Maxima. However my friend bought one two weeks later and he told him they dont have any N.Maxima but they do sell Nepenthes x Coccinea.

So it might be one of these two.

Definetly not N. x coccinea or N. maxima.

My conclusion is the hybrid N. khasiana x N. ventricosa. or N. khasiana x N. alata.

I think it is n. khasiana x alata , its more common then the other possibilites , if it is then your hybrid is n. x khasiata i think .

I agree with Goldtrap. N. emmarene has different color and is shaped differently

This plant comes from the same place as N. Miranda and N. coccinea in Europe. It is labeled N. tobaica, but is actually N. tobaica x N. ventricosa.
It's an easy grower under intermediate conditions, and stays relatively small. The pitchers look exactly between the two parents. The plant in the pictures is full grown.
Hope this is helpful.

Trent

Hey guys,
I actually think this is emmarene, too. I say this because I have a nep that makes the very same pitchers....here's the catch...Those are the jeuvenile pitchers. As they grow and get larger, the true colors of the emmarene should become apparent. So I guess time will tell..

The purple inside is NEATO!!!
smile_n_32.gif

Hi Have a look at a post in Nepenthes titled Emmarene it shows my plant with upper and lower pitchers.

Bye for now Julian

Here are some up to date photos of the plant in question. These pitchers are about 3x as large as the ones from the first post.

nep1.jpg

nep2.jpg

nep3.jpg

That sharp line between the dark and light coloration kinda reminds me of what Ventratas usually have. It's definately not ventrata, but I'd hazard a guess that theres either Ventricosa or Alata in there somewhere, looking at the peristome and 'hip' of it, I'd say ventricosa.

/Quensel

I stand by what I said way back when. They are sold as N. tobaica, and obviously are not. Typically, the wholesaler names all their plants after the pod bearer, so it is something onto tobaica. Exactly what is proprietary info. Everything is a guess. We all see the influence of ventricosa. Some see khasiana or alata. It may be ventricosa x khasiana onto tobaica. It is not pure ventricosa x khasiana, which is a cross named N. emmarene. It does not look like emmarene....so call it what you will, just don't call it tobaica...because it isn't
smile.gif

Trent

It looks like a very nice, maybe clone worthy form of N.x emmarene

Trent and All,
You would think tobaica would be involved somewhere, to get misnamed that way. The ventricosa influence seems obvious(to me, at least). The logical guess would be tobaica x ventricosa, but it almost looks like it has khasiana in it-I don't know...
confused.gif

Cheers,

Joe

Joe,
I know that the breeder-propagator of this hybrid names the plants after the female. It's the same outfit that sells Miranda and Gentle. If you've ever seen their wholesale pricelist, they call these to plants : N. maxima Miranda and N. maxima Gentle. Obviously, they are not maximas any more than the Nep in question is not tobaica. Why would they call this plant tobaica if the podbearer was not tobaica-or possibly a mislabled tobaica hybrid? The pollen donor could have been an emmarene, ventricosa, some other ventricosa hybrid. They will not divulge the parentage on the basis of proprietary information.
The point I have been trying to make is not to call it 'emmarene' because no one can prove that it is (ventricosa x khasiana). True emmarene was made by a couple of guys in Miami-allow me to name drop: Ron Pratt and Craig Johnson, using simultaneously blooming ventricosa and khasiana in their private collections. They dispersed the seed to a number of growers. The plants among the seedlings that were strongly reddish in color were collectively called 'Savanah Rose'. The name emmarene is not really recognised by the IRA because it is a grex name. Anyone remaking the cross could call it emmarene if they wanted to, but could call it something else as well. The ICPS would say its a bogus name anyway.

Trent

Trent,

Beleive me, I would never suggest it be called N. tobaica.
This nursery makes some nice tc plants. But thanks to them, we have a lot of people with "N. alata" and "N. tobaica" on their growlists, and they are wrong. I think Clyde (Sharon his sister-in-law has a list online now) still calls N. miranda, "N. mixta" , as I was told that is how they originally started calling miranda. He also has something N. Blama Koto, which I assumed was Balmy mispelled, but it keeps showing up on his list that way, year after year.....
smile_n_32.gif

Cheers,

Joe

I was at Clyde's place on Saturday. He has a huge Miranda. Vines over six feet long and lower traps on the new vine are monstrous. We had a discusion about the Mixta-Miranda issue and I think he agrees that it should be called Miranda now.
The Blama is supposed to be Balmy. It's a typo.
A bunch of us converged on Clyde Saturday afternoon...Hamata was there. We had a good time.

Trent

Back