What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A friends plant

• Thread starter Lauderdale
  • Start date
A friend gave me a Nepenthe to nurse back to health.
This is it after a four month rehabilitation period.  It us a rather attractive plant and I wonder if someone would be nice enough to identify it for me?

1_G.jpg

2_G.jpg

Thanks for the help.  
wink.gif

or N. 'Gentle'

This is most definitely the nep hybrid sold by Gublers. I think many agree that it is N. x gentle

Good job of nursing back to health, Lauderdale. Beautiful plant and pitchers.
smile.gif

Thanks guys, it will now be returned to the owner as N. x gentle.
PAK your comments are always so complimentary.  I am blushing.
wink.gif

You seem to have a wonderful outlook on life...perhaps it is because of that cute little dog Jonah.

lol Lauderdale...if you blush that easily I could reeeaaally make you blush. hehe (Actually I blush very easily myself...hate it!). I try to be positive, but we all know sometimes its not easy. But given a choice, I'd rather laugh than cry.
smile.gif

My dog is my heart and soul.
biggrin.gif
When his light extinguishes, so will mine. And I know that time is drawing nearer. It weighs heavy on my heart.

Hi Jan,
Those are sold here in south Florida as N. Corn.Bak from that well known big Dutch Nursery who has a U.S. Distribution point in Apopka. They consider the exact parentage to be proprietory information, but I think it's the same thing as N. 'Gentle'. Almost for sure a fusca hybrid. They do real well for us at this time of year, but can get a little sulky during the late summer heat. Ours bloom consistently every Oct-Nov, when temps at night start to cool off again. If it's the same clone, its a boy.

Trent

Trent,  I read a post here today that says N. gentle is a highlander.  Is that true, and  if so, why is it doing so well here at sea level?  I can't find much info about it on the net.
Maybe I'll drive up to get one from you to give back to the girl that gave it to me and keep the guy I got.  
biggrin.gif

PAK,  I lost my thirteen year old Doberman, Moose, not too long ago.  It was traumatic but I did survive...just barely. I miss the clomp, clomp of those big feet, big wet sloppy kisses and being able to leave the house without locking the door.
sad.gif

My lawn man doesn't miss him though.  
laugh.gif

Hi Jan,
I was away from computers all weekend, so maybe I'm a little late getting back. Spring is here, and Michelle and I have been working hard at repotting both the Sarracenia and Neps in the greenhouse. We have hundreds of Sarrs. that need to be moved up to bigger pots.
N. Gentle really likes our winter conditions with nights consistently down in the low to mid sixties, and warm days in the low eighties (degrees F). The only problem winter brings is occasional low humidity that may blast the traps. Also, cold fronts with temps down into the forties and humidity at about thirty percent and a fifteen mph wind with gusts doesn't help either. But those are temporary. N. Gentle has its hardest time in summer when days are in the high nineties and nights cool down to about 82 F! Not exactly highland conditions-not even intermediate! We find the best thing to do with highlanders (the heat tolerant ones) is to keep humidity high(not too difficult in summer) combined with gentle air movement-especially at night. During the summer, I will wet down the floor of the greenhouse at sunset and let the fan blow air out the top, creating a convection current that seems to help.
Anyway, give a call if you want to stop over-there's lots to see right now.
Trent

Back