What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mutant cobta lily or........?

Hi everyone,

thank you to all the people that helped.

christian

I opened the link, but it said,"The page you requested can't be found."

just got it working jim.

am a bit rusty on the code skills. hehe

Going by memory, it seems to have a few extra red spots on it. Mine took a permanent swim down a streamlet a few weeks ago, having been dislodged by torrential rain.

your cobra lily was swept away by the storms?

Yeah, I had this creative idea for keeping its roots cool by having it anchored to the side of a streamlet running behind us. What I didn't count on was the strength of a persistent rainstorm, raising the water level, and carrying it off to who knows where. I found the empty pot, the styro cooler lid I had it emplaced, and the metal weed puller I had plunged into the ground. Very embarassing!

Is it possible that the "mutant" is just a very old leaf, on the decline?

hehe jim,

i don't think its a mutant myself but I need other peoples opinion within the same field. Also, are you looking at the juvenile in the middle? it has a single needle like structure protruding from the top of the head instead of a forked tongue attached to the inner bottom part of the hood.

Its amazing with the ideas you can come up with. I guess you'll never plant them next to the stream again.

christian

Looks like the top part is yellowing and dying from some infection lower down. There looks like a big brown patch which is nearly encircled the pitcher. The red spots is that an outbreak of botrytis? I am not much of a plant pathologist but that is deffinately some pathogen. The new leaves on the right side look nice and clean though.

Tony

hi tony,

not sure if it is botrytis but last summer I had a bad infestation of aphids so the new cobra lily growth is to the right of the photo but my camera couldn't take the whole picture with the plant that i was trying to focus it on.

christian

Jimscott,

Go down to the stream in a few years. You just might find a large patch of darlingtonia!
biggrin.gif

My parents lived outside of Springfield , MO for a while and they had a house in the boonies with a stream from a underground source. I thought it would be a great place to do what Jim did, because that water was COLD.

Joe

Interesting thought. Does it raise any conservancy issues?

Perhaps it would become an invasive species...lol

Well, I know what you'll do if you find out where yours went...then someone will accuse you of poaching!  
tounge.gif

Back