What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another sundew to identify

Hi,

Here are some pictures of an unidentified Drosera, i have grown from seeds. I have no idea, what it could be!

DROS66_001_01052004tn.jpg

higher resolution

DROS66_002_01052004tn.jpg

higher resolution

DROS66_003_01052004tn.jpg

higher resolution

DROS66_004_01052004tn.jpg

higher resolution

DROS66_005_01052004tn.jpg

higher resolution

DROS66_006_01052004tn.jpg

higher resolution

I know, this is not enought to identify it. But i'm just curious to hear, what others think of this plant! I will hopefully see an opened flower and seeds soon. If so, i will post pictures here.

Christian

P.S. : can anyone move this thread to the "identify that plant"-Forum please. I have posted it here by mistake. Thanks

Hi Christian,

The short glandular scapes with few flowers, large, white to pale pink and the shape of the small lax rosettes with which are truncate at the ends and lack of stipules all speak strongly for a diagnosis of Drosera brevifolia.

Flowers should show 6 styles, not further divided. Seed should be ovoid and grey with elongate pits.

This is a finicky grower in my collection, but with care the plant returns from apparent death if you can manage to keep the apical merisem alive. Some say the plant returns from the roots, but I have not noted that this is so. Mine grow best in cool weather, dying back in the summer months. If there is anything left in the center, it regrows from this point when cooler weather sets back in.

I am about to sow a variety from Brazil and look forward to seeing how these plants compare with the form from North Carolina that I am currently growing.

Hi,

Drosera brevifolia seems to fit! I have not thought of it, though. I have just compared my plant to the picture of the one in Donald Schnell's Book. It looks pretty much the same. I will see, what the seeds look like to be completely sure. A flower has not yet opened.

Christian

Christian,

You are W.E.I.R.D.

I say that with the greatest affection.

laugh.gif

Jmmm... i might be getting infected with this thing after reading this forum for more than a year. I was also thinking about D.brevifolia
biggrin.gif

You're running with a bad bunch.  Keep it up and soon you'll be catching errors in published Protolouge's like Christian did, or Robert Gibson will ask you to proof one of his articles, or ID a sundew in his collection <ahem> :)

All seriousness aside, I earned those letters!

I have promised to make a bibliography of some Key publications in the Genus Drosera that will make one about 75% W.E.I.R.D - if you can internalize the data. (It's not half as complicated as romance)  For the other 25% you have to either be able to slither up a Tepui on your belly while dodging gold digging gun toting desperados, have memorized the entire Phyllogeny of plant evolution from the dawn of time to tomorrow,  be a jet-setting herbarium sifting son of a sundew with laterite in your pores, or think L-ribosomal DNA markers and Bootstrap values are sexy.

You may also need to learn German.

Hi,

I have planed to cover all my Drosera in pictures (seeds, scapes, stipules, flowers...) for a long time. But it takes an enormous amount of time and luck(!), that i currently do not have. So, this process is very slow going on. For an not at all complete example see the pictures of the mysterious D. capillaris var brasiliensis here :

http://www.utricularia.net/drosera/capillaris1.htm

I already have taken seed-pictures of many other plants. All of my pictures (and some more) can be seen here :

http://www.utricularia.net/sonstiges/samenbilder.htm

There are still many more coming as time goes by. I already have some more on my computer, that i will get online later.

William, as i'm lucky enought to speak and read german i think i can become 80% W.E.I.R.D. with your promised bibliography.

Christian

William, this is interesting to me:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I am about to sow a variety from Brazil and look forward to seeing how these plants compare with the form from North Carolina that I am currently growing.

So you have a form from NC, yet:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Mine grow best in cool weather, dying back in the summer months. If there is anything left in the center, it regrows from this point when cooler weather sets back in.

Isn't that sort of a-typical for most plants from NC? Or is this typically a winter grower? W.I.E.R.D. indeed!

Hi Dave,

I am not sure how the Brazillian species will perform under cultivation since I have never grown this, but I am assuming that the heat/dormancy response is a more temperate adaption. It may prove that the Brazillian plants will grow better under evenly warm temperatures without dying back.

William, the place where the Brazilian brevifolia comes from (Salinas Beach, Rio Grande do Sul) has differentiated seasons as it is at the far south of Brazil. It is possible that it needs a cool season but time will tell.

I also sowed some seed and until now some had germinated.

I am also waiting for your list of publications about Drosera.. I really like this W.E.I.R.D sickness.

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>Christian,
From all I have seen on this thread, I too would agree that your mystery plant appears to be Drosera brevifolia. Looks just like the very first CP I ever saw growing in the wild.

I once stopped at a nursery near the coast in Mississippi, the only CP they were growing was Drosera capillaris. I explained to the proprieter that I was anxious to see CP in the wild. He told me that there were some growing right there behind the nursery. He did not know which species they were, but gave me directions to a location about 500 yards away under a large oak tree which was growing on an elongated berm of earth, about 20 feet high. The berm had been created to support train tracks on the level through the uneven terrain and to take it around a gradual curve. The berm was completely covered by small, short grasses and other small plants. It was almost entirely composed of fine white sand which was quite dry and powdery for several inches in depth. I immediately thought to myself how unlikely it would be to find any CP here, but the proprieter was fairly sure of himself so I took his advice and carefully searched under the shade of the oak tree in the grass and sand there. Lo and behold there was quite a colony of Drosera brevifolia there, and they looked so very much like the plant you opened this thread with.</span>

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ May 05 2004,8:04)]You're running with a bad bunch.  Keep it up and soon you'll be catching errors in published Protolouge's like Christian did, or Robert Gibson will ask you to proof one of his articles, or ID a sundew in his collection <ahem>
smile.gif

All seriousness aside, I earned those letters!

I have promised to make a bibliography of some Key publications in the Genus Drosera that will make one about 75% W.E.I.R.D - if you can internalize the data. (It's not half as complicated as romance)  For the other 25% you have to either be able to slither up a Tepui on your belly while dodging gold digging gun toting desperados, have memorized the entire Phyllogeny of plant evolution from the dawn of time to tomorrow,  be a jet-setting herbarium sifting son of a sundew with laterite in your pores, or think L-ribosomal DNA markers and Bootstrap values are sexy.

You may also need to learn German.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

You have no idea how much I cried...

All I can say is you have a wide mind, Tamlin, filled with...ok never mind...
smile_m_32.gif

And I suppose you already have fufilled all those criterias lol...
laugh.gif

I meet the 75% requirements just fine, but will leave the rest for those crazier, younger and richer than I. My expertise comes from study of the literature and much hands on experience in cultivating this genus, that's all.

Back