What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia from hong kong

This plant is native to Hong Kong and came bearing the name Utricularia exoleta. This name was formerly used for what is now named U. gibba, and this is not that species.

I thought the brick red sepals would be a dead giveaway, but I was wrong! So far, no one has been able to find a name for this firey little gem. The flower is about 1/4 inch, slightly smaller than U. livida for example.

There are few yellow flowered species in Hong Kong. My guess was U. bifida, but no photos I have seen demonstrate the red sepals, so I am uncertain.

Utricularia_unknown_Hong_Kong_flower_Flower_041404_2a.sized.jpg

Hi William. Very nice contrast between the red calyx and the yellow flower. I had some U.bifida from sarawak last year and it looked different, it had green sepals. I can not understand the flower in this pic, where is the spur and the lobes? it is confusing. You have a better picture a little far from the flower?

I believe the flower is deformed due to flowering soon after I got it as a start. I sent you some photos of what I believe to be the same plant taken by other growers. I think that my deductive reasoning that this has to be U. bifida is sound. The other 2 Hong Kong yellow flowering species are aquatics. I have seen other photos that did not have the red sepals that the Hong Kong population has, and I assume these are from other areas. The red sepals aren't in evidence in any of the photo's in Bob Z's site, but those other photos clearly show them. Live and learn, I guess!

Back