What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep hybrid

Ok finally got some pics of the Nep hybrid I got for free a few weeks back.
Anyone know what it might be?

Here's the only pitcher it had at the time, it's about 3 inches tall.
blandat_027.jpg

And the pitcher from a different angle:
blandat_026.jpg

Thanks /Quensel

Im not sure. I think it has N.maxima in it though.

Anyone else have an opinion on this one?
It's started to pitcher like a moron now, 3 new pitchers in like 2 weeks, and another 7+ coming along.
I'd reeeeally like to get a name on this one, as it's becoming the coolest plant in my collection so far lol.

/Quensel

*Bump*

Heres a picture of the largest pitcher on it, showing a bit more mature qualities.

Balkong_004.jpg

Probably maxima in there, I agree...

The tag says 'Nepenthus Hybride'

Hope anyone can pin it down
smile.gif

Thanks /Quensel

hmm N. Miranda ?? I can't keep these unknown mass produced hybrids straight.. The new picture helps alot though.

Not Miranda...Miranda has more cylindrical pitchers.

I think it looks a lot like my N. truncata except for the bulbous pitcher shape. Oh...and the spotting. But the peristome, lid and wings are at least similar.

But what do I know about neps?!
confused.gif
I only know the ones I have.

If I had to guess, I would say it was a young N. 'Gentle' ,also called N. 'Cornelius Bak'.

Joe

I am still sticking with a young N. Miranda.. Which would show some tubby shape.  N. Gentle I would expect to be even more narrower and cyndrical with more of a purple coloration.

If anyone would like to see the differences here is Deroose webpage to check outN. Gentle
N. Miranda

Edit:
Fixed the N. Miranda link..

I clicked on both and it showed the gentle on both....
smile.gif

Joe

I know what this is:
it's a sibling or similar cultivar to N. Miranda. Several years ago DeRoose had several Miranda-like clones on the market, including this "fat" pitchered clone. I've noticed that it and the other clone have disappeared and only Miranda remains. Someone must have some of the other two in stock. At the time, it was sold as N. maxima, but obviously its a hybrid. The pitchers are very nice, but never achieves the full size of 'Miranda'.

Trent

Well, shoot-a-mile! I did not think it was Miranda, because I thought the pichers looked skinny....
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Joe

PS When is your site officially launching, Trent?

I really like the pitcher shape on that particular miranda.....

It definitely has a distinctive shape, what I called "fat" I guess could be described a little better. It tends to bulge, or puff out, just below the peristome.. They were also very wavy leaved-more so than N. 'Miranda'. It was never marketed as Miranda, but as maxima. Perhaps a better name would be 'Mirandette', since it's slightly smaller than Miranda
smile.gif

The website is real close, Joe. Got a little more red tape to deal with, and it will be up. We're gonna have some informative articles and lotsa pictures of pitchers!

Trent

I found it!!

On a website I found the exact same plant sold as Ventricosa x maxima... Ill tag it like that for the time being.

/Quensel

I don't see any N. ventricosa at all in either the leaves or the pitchers

Tony

Ditto what Tony said. It's one of those maxima x mixta clones.

Trent

Back