What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great hybrids that need iding

I have these two great hybrids that I know are named cultivars, one is from Holland, so someone over yonder can help and I do believe that the second one is 'Lady Bug' a Mellichamp/Garner hybrid from the "Bug" series but I need to know for sure. I do love my 'supposed 'Lady Bug'! Its LUCIOUS!

unknownsarr.jpg

'ladybug'.jpg

I spoke with Dr. Mellichamp last year, the guy who bred the Bug series. He couldn't remember off hand what Lady Bug was. He said it was buried in paperwork somewhere. Anyway, the reason I asked is that I have a psittacina x (purpurea x minor) that looks about identical to it. He agreed that that was as good a guess as any, as to the parentage of Lady Bug.

Here's a pic of my psitt x (purp x minor):

psittxswaniana.jpg

As for the first pic. Hard one to call, definitely purp x something.

Sarracena,
Yet another great looking plant you got there. The reason I think this maybe 'Lady Bug' is I have a 'Red Bug' and I think Dean Cook sells 'Doodle Bug.' There is a wholesale nursery here in Atlanta that has a TC lab. They made a deal with Mellichamp and Garner to TC their bug series and disrtibute them. A better deal came along for the TC lab and they 'ditched' these extras at their wholesale yard where I shop. I spotted them and snatched them up. Thats my story and I am sticking to it.

I've slowly, but surely, been trying to acquire the whole bug series.  I saw them all in Charlotte last year, old, large specimans and they are something special.  I really liked the Doodle Bug.  The one they had there covered several square feet, just from one plant.  I did get Doodle Bug and Red Bug, just patiently waiting for the others to become available.  I think Dean has a couple more available now or soon, but I gotta get a job first  
smile_h_32.gif

I wish there was a TC lab near here that ditched all their extras. I am envious
smile.gif

Back