What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sundew seedling

Hey I found this sundew growing in a pot with my s.purpea and I dont know what it is thanks. Here is the link and then just click on the pic of the sundew seedling. Thanks in advance.

Sundew

the pic is too blury for me to tell, but i think it's D. capensis or D. binata, the pic looks like the leafes might be forked once but it's blurry and i think it's just the angle. i think it's D. capensis, and if it isn't then i'll eat my fruity avatar!
biggrin.gif

Yeah sorry for the blurry pic. The leaves are forked once if that helps.

It looks more like a binata. You could be having footlong, forked leaves pretty soon. Clint, Bon appetite!
smile_m_32.gif

ok, ok. a deal is a deal....

Like Twinkies.

You would not believe what I have growing in my pot of U.bisquamata 'battys bay'
Ready for it...................................... Drosera peltata!!
Yes, I am 100% serious. Its only small, Im going to give it a seperate pot today.
smile.gif

Dino
cool.gif

Oh yeah, I think you might have D.peltata. Could you post a very clear pic of the leaf? My money is on D.peltata and D.binata.
Dino
cool.gif

It is a D. binata, there is no doubt about it.

Starman, are you sure you have a seedling of D. peltata because they look absolutely nothing like the D. binata in the photo?

I am 100% sure. Its got paddle shaped leaves, and they dont fork at all.
It looks exactly like the pictures that I have seen.
Dino

Drosera peltata seedlings don't have paddle shaped leaves. They resemble the shape of D. prolifera are lime green and have blackish glands. I have hundreds coming up in pots throughout my greenhouse as well as growing throughout the bushland near my house. Where have you seen the pictures?

Ok I did take a better picture hopefully it will work. I seem to have a problem that in order to get close enough to get a good detailed pic the picture gets blurry? Alright well here is the new link with the new pic. Sundew seedling 2.

Sundew seedling 2

Also I have heard that they are more than one kind of D.binita any help there?

wolf9striker,

You have a Drosera binata seedling.

Vic

there is an entire complex called the binata complex with various hybrids/cultivars.
the species in the complex are: binata, dichotoma, and multifida.

There is no such thing as D. dichotoma and D. multifida. These plants are both varieties of D. binata. At best dichotoma could be described as a subspecies of binata
eg-
Drosera binata var. multifida
Drosera binata ssp. dichotoma

another mistake in the savage garden! my fault!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Seandew @ Aug. 03 2004,9:23)]Drosera peltata seedlings don't have paddle shaped leaves. They resemble the shape of D. prolifera are lime green and have blackish glands. I have hundreds coming up in pots throughout my greenhouse as well as growing throughout the bushland near my house. Where have you seen the pictures?
Oh I cant really describe the shape!!!!
No, they arnt paddle shaped, they look like leaves of D.peltata, or as you said, D. provelifera. There is one leaf on the ground that looks exactly how you described it, but It has now errected some of its leaves, and they look exactly like D.peltata.
smile.gif
I have seen pictures of other ppls D.peltata, and I have seen pictures in Peter'Damatos book.
smile.gif

Dino
smile_n_32.gif

Oh yeah, I have noticed lots of prolifera looking leaves on the ground, but they are hidden behind the bladderwort stolons. I am guessing that taht D.peltata has been there for quite a long time, but I didnt notice untill it produced new leaves in the air. I can also see what looks like a mini D.prolifera in my pot of D.admirabilis, could be another D.peltata.
smile.gif

Dino
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There is no such thing as D. dichotoma and D. multifida. These plants are both varieties of D. binata.

I thought I saw these 'species' somewhere...duh of course...

The binata looks like the one my brother's got. Starman you gotta ID some'o your doseras...
confused.gif

Jason

Back