What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown tree

I have this tree that I grew from seed, but I have no idea what it is. All I know is that it is native to San Diego, California, because that is where I got the seeds. They look like beans, but they are blood red. This plant has a strange habit. The leaves point strait up in the morning, and down in the evening. It has big thorns going up it's trunk and little thorns on the veins of the leaves. The thorns on the leaves are red. I have two of these, and they are both four months old. Anybody know what it is?

I don't know what to tell you, I have been living in San Diego for 20 years and never seen a tree like you describe. maybe if you post a pic or two....

I would post pics but I don't have a digital camera or a scanner...

OH OH OH OH!!! I think I know.... mescalbean??? (poisonous berries)
but i don't think that has thorns...
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It has big thorns going up it's trunk and little thorns on the veins of the leaves
in the VEINS of the leaves?
confused.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif

well... I gave it a try :p

If you want positive identification describe in detail the leaves(super important), petiole, bark, and the habitat of its parents. And considering the area you found it theres a good chance its not native to this country as many plants have escaped from cultivation there and are naturalized in the reagon.

Oh and also if you can note the land usage of its parents. A empty lot? Grazed land? The edge of a tilled feild? etc.

Some plants decline under these pressures to the extent that they dissapeir from alterd habitats or heavy grazing pressure, while plants with thorns and unplatible leaves are more likely to survive grazing. Trees that sucker are  often found on the edge of farmland because they are able to regenerate from damaged roots due to the tilling of the soil. Some trees are pioneers and will ocupy a vacant lot quickly, while others are found only in undesturbed habitats.

Oops! Forgot about describing the leaves
smile_n_32.gif
I'll do my best to draw one in paint, then I'll post it here. I don't know were the parents were, or what conditions they were growing in. My brother was the one who brought the seeds home.

OK!! The picture is finished! It's right here. http://www.freewebs.com/horticulturist/idneeded.htm It is the only picture on the page. You can't miss it. I looked at the plant for a while and then figured out that the thorns must be temporary, because it has none on the bottom leaves, or on the base of the trunk.

Humm... Are the leaf edges serrated?

Ceiba pentandra perhaps, they have small thorns that look very similar to chocalte chips in shape and are usually yellow/pink or orange. They are also called something silk tree.

Joe

I hope its not, but i dont have any species information on that tree, but understand its a invasive species. I think its also called mimosa. If you indeed have Mimosa you should destroy the seedlings immidiatly because it can be very difficult to eradicate once established.

The leaves to me look like they Are from the group of poplars and aspens. The seeds might be from these but im unshere. Pick a thorn. can you tear it apart with your hands (carfull not to poke urself.) Is the inside green, sticky and sweet-smelling? Poplars have flower buds that are sharp and hard like thorns.

Beans and beenpods are from the Legume Family and these definatly have thorns but their leaves are usualy compound.

The habitat would be usefull because the legums usually prefer it dry and the popolars like it wet.

The California Redbud has leaves sort of similar and seed pods but no thorns. I will reaserch. introduced species

Nope, the leaves are not serated. That was just my shaky hand on the mouse.
smile_n_32.gif
The leaves look more like the spades on a deck of cards, just without the funky bottom. Or, if you want plant comparrison, the leaves have the same shape of morning glories, but they are flat on the bottom. I tried cutting the thorn open, but it smelled like freshly cut grass, just very very weak. It was wet, but not sticky. Oh and the thorns do look like chocolate chips in shape.

I dont think its mimosa
alju1.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]NATIVE RANGE: Iran to Japan (according to Hortus 3rd. ed.).

DESCRIPTION: Silk tree, also known as mimosa, or silky acacia, is a small to medium-sized tree in the pea family (Fabaceae) that can grow up to 20-40 feet tall. The bark is light brown, nearly smooth, and generally thin with lens shaped areas along the stem. The attractive fern-like leaves of mimosa are finely divided, 5-8 inches long by about 3-4 inches wide, and alternate along the stems. Silk tree has showy and fragrant pink flowers, about 1½ inches long, that resemble pom-poms and are arranged in panicles at the ends of branches. Fruits are flat, straw-colored pods about 6 inches long containing light brown oval-shaped seeds about ½ inch in length. Pods ripen in August to September and begin to disintegrate soon after, but remain on the trees into winter.

ECOLOGICAL THREAT: Because silk tree can grow in a variety of soils, produce large seed crops, and resprout when damaged, it is a strong competitor to native trees and shrubs in open areas or forest edges. Dense stands of mimosa severely reduce the sunlight and nutrients available for other plants.

DISTRIBUTION IN THE UNITED STATES: Silk tree is naturalized from New Jersey to Louisiana and in California. Click here to see a distribution map.

http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/alju1.htm

Nope, it's not mimosa. I have one in my backyard but it has no pollinator. I talked to brother last night, and he said it was IN the city, and that it is probably not native.

it selfs

need piccie of the actual leaf...

mimosa tree is evil
smile_n_32.gif

lol goodluck if you try to remove it for any reason. its almost impossible

No problem! I'll use RoundUp! Anyone else have a guess of what this tree might be?

Back