What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mysterythainep

I found this nep in a nursery in Kaohsiung, Southern Taiwan.

http://home.petflytrap.com/users....ep1.JPG
http://home.petflytrap.com/users....ep2.JPG

Unfortunately, even the NurseryMeister himself couldn't give me any specifics about its ID, only that:

1. it's a wild hybrid from Thailand

2. even his Thai supplier is still tearing his hair out about the exact parentage, and

3. it most probably has some thorellii in it.

Experts to the front! What might it be?

Have fun

TwoTon

Huh interesting Nep hybrid. I have no clue wat it is.

I would guess that it has N. rafflesiana in it.

confused.gif

Hi Hans,
Nobody knows exactly what it is, but it grows on islands and in some coastal areas along the southwestern coast of Thailand. There is some debate as to whether it is a natural hybrid, a new species, or a subspecies of mirabilis or anamensis-smilesii-thorelii group. The most popular theory is a natural hybrid between mirabilis and rafflesiana, even though raff does not grow in the same habitats.
Right now, Nepenthes collectors are calling it Nepenthes Viking, because the neck-body join resembles the bow of a viking (Norse) ship.
Hope this is helpful.

Trent

Thanks a million, everyone, (especially Trent!), for the info! I've forwarded your suggestions to Mr. Lin, the NurseryMeister, and he was so happy about solving the riddle that he promised me the first cutting, come next spring
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

Most Excellent, Hans!! Good luck with the cutting!!!

Hmm... So that's what viking looks like. Where can i find one of these vikings for sale? BTW what is the website for that nursury, if he has one.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (NepenthesMaster @ Dec. 15 2004,2:19)]Hmm... So that's what viking looks like. Where can i find one of these vikings for sale? BTW what is the website for that nursury, if he has one.
Here is the definitive Web site for these plants. At the bottom of the linked page are additional links for more information, price list, and ordering information.
http://www.neofarmthailand.com/index.p....Ntype=6

[b said:
Quote[/b] (NepenthesMaster @ Dec. 15 2004,5:19)]Hmm... So that's what viking looks like. Where can i find one of these vikings for sale? BTW what is the website for that nursury, if he has one.
Sadly, there is none. Mr. Lin wholesales his more "common" plants to flower markets and shops around Taiwan and sells the rare stuff (mostly neps) on (Taiwanese) ebay. Hence, his nursery is more of a warehouse than a proper shop and not open to visitors without prior notice.

If you want his phone number, mail me in private. He speaks good English, I believe.

wow, an N. Viking ^^
i saw a post about those on this forrums saying they are extinct in the wild due to the Tsunami.
Is this true?
Hellz

Back