What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown ping

Before, all I had was a rather pale green moranensis type rosette-- attractive in its own right. Now I have this beauty blooming and sending up another bud. I can't say that I've seen anything quite like it.

ping1.jpg

Anyone know what this is or have any guesses?

nope but it sure is nice looking

I've come to the conclusion that it is a potosiensis. Site location from the person whom I traded it from points to that likely species.

It is unlike any poto I have seen with that expanded white throat.

Hello to all,

I saw many P.moranensis locations during my 6 months in Mexico in 2003-04. It was absolutely stunning to se what a beautiful and variable species it is. Even in the same location there was often quite a lot of variation in flower shape, size, color, and patterning of black and/or white patches.

Therefore, the white marks on your flower are not exactly an exotic characteristic -- albeit a beautiful one! -- for P.moranensis.

I saw P.potosiensis in the wild and simply do not believe it is a good species, subspecies, variety, form, or whatever. I think this name is useless and should be trashed for good.

Anyways, maybe your plant can make it as a popular cultivar!!

Take care,
Fernando Rivadavia

Fernando,

Thank you for your input! I can attest that many others out there, and yes, even myself at times, want a 100% definite ID on every plant we come in contact with. But, as you stated there are countless differences, minute as they may be. I am not gonna pull my hair out trying to ID this plant taxonomically, but rather appreciate and enjoy it for what it's worth.

As for cultivar status, I'm not gonna jump the gun. I have had only this one flower and am not sure that any of the characteristics are stable. Only time will tell and I am in no hurry  
smile_m_32.gif

Can you post a pic of the plant leaves as well?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fernando Rivadavia @ Feb. 02 2005,9:54)]Hello to all,

I saw many P.moranensis locations during my 6 months in Mexico in 2003-04. It was absolutely stunning to se what a beautiful and variable species it is. Even in the same location there was often quite a lot of variation in flower shape, size, color, and patterning of black and/or white patches.

Therefore, the white marks on your flower are not exactly an exotic characteristic -- albeit a beautiful one! -- for P.moranensis.

I saw P.potosiensis in the wild and simply do not believe it is a good species, subspecies, variety, form, or whatever. I think this name is useless and should be trashed for good.

Anyways, maybe your plant can make it as a popular cultivar!!

Take care,
Fernando Rivadavia

Excellent suggestion. A perfect use for the cultivar registration system.

Back