What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please help me id my nepenthes?

Hello! I have 4 spiecies of Nepenthes that I do not know their names. Please, if anyone can help me, and tell me the names I will appreaciate it.

I would like to call my Nepenthes by their names and not by "Nepenthes Unknwon #..."

NEPENTHESUNKNOWN1.jpg

NEPENTHESUNKNOWN2.jpg

NEPENTHESUNKNOWN3.jpg

NEPENTHESUNKNOWN4.jpg

Thank you,
Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden

from to to bottom:

1. 'Ventrata'(ventricosa x alata)
2.Sanguinea hybrid(perhaps sanguinea x alata?)
3.N. ampullaria hybrid(perhaps it has bicalcarata in it too?)
4.An N.alata hybrid of some sort(Its not 'Ventrata' though)

hmmm.. the 3rd one to me looks like a N. Rafflesiana
i agree with starman on the rest of them
Hellz

1. N. ventricosa .. hard to tell from the photo if it is that or N. Ventrata
2. N. sanguinea
3. N. rafflesiana
4. N. rafflesiana x mirabilis??? or maybe N. rafflesiana x gracilis?

I'm saying:
1. Ventrata (ventricosa x alata)
2. sanguinea
3. rafflesiana
4. does look like it has a bit of alata and rafflesiana in it. I'm gonna say rafflesiana x alata.

Beautiful!!! Nice plants!! Nepenthes is not my strong suit. I just like looking at them!

1. ventricosa - possibly ventrata, can't say without a frontal pitcher view
2. sanguinea
3. rafflesiana
4. We agree with Tony, looks like gracilis x rafflesiana (definitely not raff x mirabilis or alata, though)

I'm wondering if you should be concerned about those ventrata lids... they seem pretty droopy.

Hello again! Thank you very much to all that ahve helped me in this Nepnethes-name-finder. you will never know how importanti thisi s to me, i am in love with my Nepenthes:;):

Now, we have clear about N. Sanguinea & N. Rafflesiana. But about N. Ventrata??? well, i am posting frontal pics, to se if that can help. Sorry if the pics are too dark, I hope it can help.

NEPENTHESUNKNOWN1B.jpg

NEPENTHESUNKNOWN1A.jpg

And about the 4th one. I havejust found theinvoce when i bought this one and it sais "Nepenthes x Dominii" Can anybody tell me is N. x Dominii is the same than "Nepenthes gracilis x rafflesian"?

Thank you very, very much,
Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden:)

Ahh.. I forgot to say. The lids of the N. Ventrata??? are always almost closed, or dropped. Do this give you a hint to ID it?

Thanks again,
Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden

Maybe it's some kind of mutation... none of my ventrata lids droop, and even if they did I don't think they'd be that wide.

Hello Endparenthesis! So you think it is a Ventrata, but with a mutation? Do you, or anybody else, know how this can happen?

I am very curious about his now.
smile.gif

True Dominii is gracilis x rafflesiana. There is some confusion about Dominii, it was the first man made Nepenthes hybrid in 1862 at the Veitch Nurseries. There was confusion with plants of rafflesiana x hirsuta also called Dominii 'Intermedia', made in 1875. Your photo is a dead ringer for an illustration from the Journal of the Royal Hort. Society vol. 21 1897- as real Dominii (gracilis x rafflesiana).

It looks like you have a ventricosa, but again, the photo is not the clearest and the plant needs to get a little larger. Droopy lids are not a mutation, could be humidity/water requirements - or simply a plant with floppy lids, which is okay.

Hello everyboby!

Trent, what do you mean with "Your photo is a dead ringer for an illustration"?

And about my Ventricosas' lid, you say it can humidity / water requirements, is is possible that it is too much h/w? He in PR we have had too much nain in the las months and humidity is always between 65% and 90%. I must tell you that all of my Ventricosas have the same wide and droopy lids. So what you say make much sense to me.:)

You have the real Dominii, "dead ringer" means "identical".

Hello Trent!!! Sorry for my english:)

Thank you you have given me a very good news confiming to me that i have the real Nepenthes x dominii. It makes me very happy. So.. thank you, thnak you:D

If it's not the humidity it's the heat(that usually is said the other way around). Is it the heat that would cause that? Of course, N. sanguinea should be suffering before the ventricosa plant. Both hardier than a lot of other plants that bear the title highland or intermediate.
I have no idea why the lids are like that. It obviously is or has ventricosa in it. It really threw me for a loop when I saw the lids.

Cheers,

Joe

That's why I'm thinking it might be a mutation. I saw a ventrata (I think it was on the CPUK forum) that only put out lidless pitchers no matter what the conditions. Maybe this is similar.

Nope I do not think so. It is definatly ventracosa. Of some sort I have on just like it from Black Jungle Terrarium and CP supply. The lids start the clse when the pitchers get old or are just opening.

Hello to everyone:)

Lets say that ok, it is a Ventricosa... Well, my Ventricosas, all of them, have the same droopy and wide lids, all of them. And I have 4 and each one of them was pruchased in different parts of the world. And they always have those droopy/wide lids, when young, when old, anytime. So it kind of believe that it is an enviromental condition that is making them to produce those lids.

Maybe the rain that fall here is too much and the humidity is too hight and then they have create a way to protect their pitchers from flooding. I do not know if thatis possible or correct, but tha is what I have concluded with all the info that you guys have givent to me here.

Maybe you can tel me what do you think?

Back