What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep id?

• Thread starter Glenn
  • Start date
unkown2 jan 04.jpg

This plant was albled ?

Any Guesses? I have mine but I won't bias anyones guess by telling you now.

Thanks
Glenn

Definitely a N. maxima hybrid, most probably a variety of N. mixta. That looks identical to the upper pitchers of the N. mixta superba at the Frederik Meijer Gardens. The tip of the petiole also corresponds to what I know as N. mixta. Not a straight maxima in my opinion.

Looks exactly as I would picture an upper pitcher on N. maxima x northiana

Which coincidently is N. Mixta!! hehe

Tony

Looks like a N. Mixta to me too, and it looks like it's demanding worship of the small plants whose pot it's sitting in...
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Cheers,

Joe

I am going to agree with Tony

Thanks all. My best guess was mixta as well. The litle plants are U. calcyfida I started from seed. There are a couple of Drosera as well, probably D. capensis, they are poping up everywhere!

Glenn

Here is a real test for you! What are the three small Nepenthes in the background.
smile_n_32.gif

Glenn

It looks like you have 2 small neps to the left of the N. X mixta. The larger one right next to the white pot behind the pitcher looks like a judith finn but it's hard to tell in that pic. Actually those 3 neps are still too small to ID.

How big do they have to be to ID?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Glenn @ Feb. 11 2005,6:44)]Here is a real test for you!  What are the three small Nepenthes in the background.
smile_n_32.gif

Glenn
give me a telescope and I'll tell you.
smile_n_32.gif

I know they are too small to ID. Even if you were in the same room it would be hard. So I will break the suspense.

Left to right. (spelling?)
N. ephipeata
N. mcfarlenae
N. sibuyensis

Those pitcher's looks the same as the upper's from my N. x miranda....

Ries

I am inclined to agree with Carnifreak, especially if it is a mass market type buy (miranda is in TC with a couple of the commercial firms.) From what I gather miranda and mixta can be very difficult to tell apart as theonly real differences are in the leaf length and width.

it looks like the upper on my 'Miranda' to but being that it is mixta x maxima(or is it the reverse of that?) a mixta guess wouldnt be far off either

Now I'm back where I started! Miranda and mixta were my two guesses. Does anyone have details on how to tell them apart? My plant has only produced upper pitchers so I believe it was started from a cutting. It is growing quite rapidly but has not yet produced any basal shoots.

Glenn

Hi Glenn and everybody,
The nep in the photo looks just like our upper pitchers of N. 'Miranda', and which it is most likely. True N. 'Mixta' is getting hard to find. We knew of people selling the N. 'Miranda' as N. 'Mixta' - but they ARE NOT THE SAME. N. 'Mixta' (maxima x northiana) is a cross, meaning that there are different clones around. The cultivar that most resembles N. 'Miranda' is N. mixta 'Superba' - thought to be the pollen parent (dad) of Miranda (maxima x mixta 'Superba'?? -proprietary information).
I can see the difference between the two on large, mature plants, but cannot see the difference on smaller pitchers. At first glance, the two look the same. I cannot say which is the plant you are trying to id -yet. Where did you obtain the plant? That will give some clues to the id.

Hi Trent,

I got the palnt from Ted's Greenhouse in Illinois. I believe it was a rooted cutting and was labled "?". They mainly sell the common tissue cultured plants such as rafflesiana, miribelis, ventrata, coccenea, etc. (sp?)

What are the differences from a 'mixta' and a 'miranda'?

My money is on the 'miranda' but "mixta" sure would have been nice.

Glenn

Back