What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. alata x ?

Here's a plant which I don't know the ID of. It definitely has alata in there, you can really see it when it's viewed from the front. I originally thought it could have oreophila in there as well as it is SOOO vigorous. It pitchers non stop all season, but doesn't grow oreo style phyllodia.
It's flowers are pale yellow - not alata pale, but not as yellow as flava/oreophila.

Alataoreo1.jpg

Alataoreo2.jpg

I agree, it does look like it has both alata and oreophila in there

Or possibly alata x flava. Very beutifyl whatever it is:)

Jsut to be out there I am gong to say S. alata x. [flava cuprea x. (flava ornata x. leucophylla)] I think that would give youa ruffled hood with no areoles and look so much like flava and a lttle like alata. I will definatly say it has flava or oreo in it. maybe the alata is actually alata x. oreo

Jep, it has oreophina in it......oreophila x alata?

Another clue to the parentage is the flower stalk height. S. oreophila has flowers that are taller than the pitchers, which is a trait that distinguishes it from S. flava. The photo is not the best perspective to judge, but it looks like alata x oreophila. Those flowers are up there with the pitcher lids.

Alvin, the bronzing on the hood is remeniscent of my s. rubra ssp. wherryi x s. alata. A close match between the two! The wherryi is a yellow flowered form. My hybrids hood bronze up in good sun. And has the alata bulge in the upper pitcher. Very close. And my wherryi X alata's flowers always were at pitcher height, so that is no real clue. A wherryi could be responsible for the ruffled hood. A really beautiful plant, Alvin. Excellent work!

definitely rubra in there. i agree with bugweed in that it looks like alata and rubra. that bottom pic really shows the rubra, i think. i just don't see any oreophila or flava in it. not that there couldn't be though. you just never know. my 25 cent bet is an alata x rubra F2.

i forgot to add - a nice, charming-looking plant.

Thanks for you help guys.

There isn't a trace of red or pink in the flowers, so I don't think there is any rubra in there.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alvin Meister @ Feb. 17 2005,6:46)]Thanks for you help guys.

There isn't a trace of red or pink in the flowers, so I don't think there is any rubra in there.
there doesn't have to be. it's possible for a cross between red and yellow flowers to have yellow flowers, or red. although the odds are much more favorable to an orange. the chance increases much more if it's an F2 (which is why i added that to my guess).

There is that, but alata is known sometimes to have some reddish tinge to the flower in the pure species, rubra cross aside. And sometimes in a cross, some flowers will show no trace of one of the parents, choosing to look like one parent plant or the other. Whether in flower color or form. ID'ing hybrids is tough, but fun trying to figure it out. So many variables!

Back