What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia purpurea venosa?

I have a pitcher plant that looks like Sarracenia Purpurea Venosa. It is solid red like pics I have seen of this plant, and is so red I cannot see the veins. I got this plant from Lowe,s in the 2.5 inch cube and looked like the typical Sarracenia Purpirea. I would post a pic if I had a digi cam.

Ignore the color. S. purpurea ssp. venosa have larger, more undulated hoods than ssp. purpurea. Ssp. venosa will also feel slightly hairy - ssp. purpurea is smooth and waxy.

S. purpurea ssp. venosa var. burkii pitchers have very large, frilly hoods and a fatter lip.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alvin Meister @ Feb. 20 2005,4:37)]S. purpurea ssp. venosa var. burkii pitchers have very large, frilly hoods and a fatter lip.
Not nessicarily. Many of the plants in the wild have typical or slightly montana like hoods.

If you got it from lowes it is most likely ssp.venosa.

What is a montana like hood? The hoods on var. montana look typical to me. var. montana also seems to have very stout and brittler pitchers.

Do you have Schnell's 2nd edition? He shows pictures of all the subspecies pitchers in there and says the wrapped up hoods on var. montana are typical of that subspecies.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Many of the plants in the wild have typical or slightly montana like hoods

True, but I would still say they were larger and frilliar than ssp. venosa, whether or not they have hoods which are more inward. A pinker colour would also be a factor in determining this variety.

Montana has distinct triangular hoods: var. montana

Back