What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. purpurea

PICT0240.jpg

Does anyone know what form of S. purpurea this is?

Sarracenia purpurea ssp. purpurea.

No, I have a similar one obtained from Lowe's. Judging from the slight amount of peachfuzz on the pitcher, and the ruffling of the hood, it's got to be an S. purpurea ssp. venosa

Cynic, you doubt the Weed?

oooooo.....Yer in trouble.....
smile_n_32.gif

I would say it look like ssp purpurea, too, because the outside of the pitcher is so smooth. Also, ssp. venosa tends to have fatter pitchers.

Maybe subsp. purpurea x subsp. venosa? I have some of that cross to, and they look the same to me...

Ries

Nope bugweed is right. Judging from my CPs of the US and Canada that is definatly ssp. purpurea

Thanks guys, it will be newly labled S. purpurea ssp. purpurea the next time i get duct tape and bamboo skewers.

See schnell's "Cps of the US and Canada"
If you don't own it Inter-library loan (ILL) it at your local library.

For you, Cynic. Purp venosa has a much more expanded hood, and try as I might, I cannot see any peach fuzz on the purp ssp. purp.

Well, I'm not anal enough to go to lengths to convince everyone. I shall accept my pwnage like a gentleman
smile.gif

Cynic, anal is not the case. I want to know what you see that I don't. I want to know, because making the absolutely correct ID IS important. I am simply seeing if I may have missed something. That is how we learn. Well, anyway, thats how I do.

Well, yo ucan kind of see peachfuzz if you look at the edge of the pitcher itself. It just strikes me as being an early Venosa pitcher, since I have a purp which came from lowe's that put up a pitcher or two just like that. And since most Lowe's only sell Venosas, the conclusion was obvious from my perspective.

All right, I see what you are talking about. I think it is the lighting, but I can give you the peach fuzz look. It does look like it. But I think it is the lighting. I think we should let Tuna grow it out, and maybe it will bulk up like venosa, and the hood will expand some. Early pitchers can look different for the first few leaves. Since it requires growth, maybe Tuna can post a late spring pic.

I have one from Lowe's also, and the pitchers it originally had were elongated due to poor lighting conditions (I learned that from Mike Howlett). So using the ratio of pitcher tube length to the width of the mouth, per Schnell's criteria listed on page 129, may be unreliable in this case.

Back