What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My mystery nep

I purchased this little guy from a nursery in Baltimore about 3 years ago, and it only was labled "NEPENTHES".  
I am not sure what type it is, so any input would be muchly appreciated  
smile.gif

His name is Egor, by the way
smile_m_32.gif

nep1.JPG

nep2.JPG

I will need a close up of the pitcher (as close as you can get with it still being clear) for a better identification, but i think Egor is something with N. ventricosa in it, maybe even a purebred.

I'm going to guess N. ventricosa as well.

Capslock

Okay....I tried to take close-up shots of the pitchers, but they came out too blurry,
so I am posting a photo that I didn't compress so that you can see the pitcher closer:

DSC05337.JPG

Id say ventricosa x sanguinea

Some sort of N. ventricosa hybrid. Not a pure N. ventricosa though. The angle of the pitcher opening is wrong (along with some other aspects). Could be N. Ventrata made with a very spotted N. alata. Or perhaps some other species or mix of species. I don't think you will ever know for certain. So I would just label it N. ventricosa hybrid. Maybe when it gets larger it might show some different traits which will help narrow it down more.

Tony

definately has some ventricosa in it but not completely pure looks like it might have some sanguenia or alata as well, good observation starman!

Thanks for your feedback guys!  And Tony, I will label it "N. Ventricosa Hybrid".  Again, thank you all!  

EGOR is happy now!
biggrin.gif

I'd say your plant looks happy as well!

Capslock

I will say N. ventracosa x. (spotted alata x. ventracosa). But it is still young

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ Mar. 21 2005,7:38)]I will say N. ventracosa x. (spotted alata x. ventracosa).  
The problem though is that even if that is true. There is no way of knowing that for sure. So you should never be so specific with an unknown plant of unknown origin. And should never relabel such a plant with so detailed parentage.

Tony

btw You would be hard hard pressed to tell the difference between N. ventricosa and N. ventricosa x (alata x ventracosa). The pitcher that we see is quite different from N. ventricosa so would think that it is N. ventricosa x another species or other hybrid that doesn't have alot of N. ventricosa in it.

at least that's my 2 copper pennies worth.

your right. But I was just compairing it to my ventracosa which looks very similar to that (at the seedling stage it is in) except in the spotting of the pitchers and they also do not have the little ala s. The lid also resembles alata. The leaves and the majority of features of the pitchers does resemble ventracosa though.
BTW You are using pennies are made of copper. Now if you had said cents I would have to say I hope they are from early 1982 or before (excluding 1943).

Hehe Ok guess I should have been more specific...

How's this?

at least that's my 2 brand spankin new 2.5% copper pennies worth.

Actually I am not sure exactly what pennies are made out of or if they use them anymore. Ask a UK CPer. We ony have Cents here in the US

Uh.. not to be totally off topic with these posts, but the smallest US demonination is one cent.  The name of that coin however is called a penny!  The ONE CENT on the backside isn't the name of the coin but is designating it's value.

And since I know you're curious..
Penny Composition
Years Mass Diameter Composition
1864 to 1942 3.11 g 19 mm 95.0% Copper and 5.0% Zinc & Tin (bronze mix)
1943 2.70 g 19 mm Steel with Zinc coating
1944 to 1946 3.11 g 19 mm 95.0% Copper and 5.0% Zinc & Tin (bronze mix)
but made from cartridge casings and slightly off color
1947-1962 3.11 g 19 mm 95.0% Copper and 5.0% Zinc & Tin (bronze mix)
1963-1982 3.11 g 19 mm 95.0% Cu and 5.0% Zinc
1983-2002 2.50 g 19 mm 97.5% Zinc and 2.5% Copper (20% lighter)

Very nice! I too say it`s a hybrid and going by the peristome I`d say it`s ventricosa x something with a flared peristome maybe ventricosa x(xmixta)?

I think you're all nuts. It's a straight ventricosa that isn't quite mature. I'd bet at least 3 cents!

Capslock

Back